Disposing of coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Autozone doesn't take it, haven't tried other parts stores yet but assuming the same. The local dump takes an act of Congress to be open. Only open the 1st and third Saturday each month and 9-12 Monday through Thursday. So what is a man to do lol? Does anyone know if any of the chains take it?

Check your local sewage treatment policy. Mine, and many others, allow it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165

i use to throw mine down the toilet when I had city water and sewage.

Originally Posted By: user52165

Same here, they say it doesn't harm the bacteria at the waste water treatment plant.

Yep, if your municipal sewerage district permits it then dump away. In Milwaukee they allow it but encourage recycling. As Trav noted it not only doesn't harm the bacteria it feeds them, some municipal systems used to want the glycol to keep the bacteria growing.

Never dump it into a septic system however, nor into a storm drain. Only into the sewer if permitted.

I leave it out to evaporate or dilute it heavily with water and do the same. I think most coolant is ethylene glycol.

It's really not that bad if it's 50/50 to begin with. The average sedan cooling system takes what, 1.5-1.75 gallons? A gallon and a half of 50/50 is only .75 gallons of actual ethylene glycol.

According to this document it's safe for the environment to some extent. This article also discusses bacteria conversion into CO2 and water:
http://www.huntsman.com/performance_prod...and_effects.pdf

Obviously you do not want to be pouring this straight on to the ground or near any place where it would run off or enter a drinkable water source or to a storm drain. As long as you can contain it, keep animals away, dilute it heavily and let it degrade I don't see a problem.

Coolant is far less damaging to the environment than oil. I've seen neighbors just loose the petcock on their radiators and drain all of their coolant in the radiator, right out on to the street. Makes me cringe, but at least it isn't oil. Recycling oil is a must. Coolant? As long as it is diluted I guess it's not that bad.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Yep, if your municipal sewerage district permits it then dump away. In Milwaukee they allow it but encourage recycling. As Trav noted it not only doesn't harm the bacteria it feeds them, some municipal systems used to want the glycol to keep the bacteria growing.

Never dump it into a septic system however, nor into a storm drain. Only into the sewer if permitted.
+1 That is what they taught us in a hazmat class that I had to attend while working for the .gov.

I can't find anything about my county saying it's ok to put in the sewer (I'm on the city sewer). The other issue is it's in my oil change pan, so it's kinda mixed with oil too.
smirk.gif

I just dump it where ever the vehicles is sitting when I'm flushing. Most goes down the driveway, some in the grass. Grass seems good.

My county has a recycling center for coolant, paints, and other chemicals along with electronics etc. I only need to call and make an appt and it's only every other Saturday.

May be allowed to just dump in the drain as mentioned, but you may want to check your local reclamation center too.

Where you'd take old rear projection TV's, fluorescent bulbs, used batteries etc.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Our local Advance Auto accepts coolant.

I'll have to give this a try.

Ask a farmer if they would like it.

I place ads on craigslist all the time begging for old used coolant.

My Towns Highway Dept. stopped accepting it.

They gave me a list showing who takes it:
* Monro Muffler / Brake
* Pep Boys
* Valvoline Instant Oil Change

Be responsible and dispose of correctly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back