Any CAD/Solidworks experts here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to put in some serious effort to learn about CAD/3d modeling, but ultimately I'd like to use whichever software allows you to "virtually" design machines where the parts move and interact with each other. Not too interested in making models that can produce real parts at this time.

(for example, let's say I have an idea for an automotive suspension where I can build the linkages, set the spring tension, shock rates, etc. and see it actually work as "it" travels along a bumpy road)

Is this a valid distinction in this field? And is there a platform/software that is better suited for what I want to do?

Thanks.

I use solidworks everyday. What you want is available from solidworks as a simulation suite.
I don’t use simulation, the majority of what I design don’t require advanced simulation.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I use solidworks everyday. What you want is available from solidworks as a simulation suite.
I don’t use simulation, the majority of what I design don’t require advanced simulation.

Is Solidworks pretty much the software I should focus on? I know there are other 2d/3d modeling programs but a lot of them seem targeted to movies/games.

Building a suspension simulation from scratch will be a ton of work. I'd like to do that, too, but I just don't have the time to invest.

There is a free and very easy to use 2D physics/design simulator called Algodoo. You could play around with that to get a feel for a basic CAD program before committing to something far more complex.

Solidworks is very expensive, and this is not really it's forte.

I would look for kinematics software, not CAD or solid modeling.

Solidworks and MasterCAM.

A smaller known one is SmartCAM.

Please first try what MOLAKULE, our resident oil mixologist and teacher pro' has recommended....

Last edited:
The type of simulation/analysis you are interested in is often done by engineering firms that specialize in analysis. The one I’ve talked to has PEs and hire graduate level and above.

What is your goal? Tinkering with something and lots of YouTube or an Engineering degree and specializing?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
The type of simulation/analysis you are interested in is often done by engineering firms that specialize in analysis. The one I’ve talked to has PEs and hire graduate level and above.

What is your goal? Tinkering with something and lots of YouTube or an Engineering degree and specializing?

No professional goals in mind. Just looking to learn 3d modeling and was hoping the simulation aspect was feasible for a hobbyist. You would be correct that the simulation requires a lot of extra work and for now seems to be worthwhile only for professional engineering.

What I may do is learn what I can when it comes to 2D/3D CAD, and then pick up 3D printing so I can scale my ideas down to print actual parts. Strangely enough this would take less work than having a computer simulate physics...

If you find a student license of Solidworks (you can find them with some internet searching) you can do all of the built in tutorials you’ll have a good basic grasp of 3d CAD. Solidworks is very common in industry.

Catia and Inventor are also common for industry. Sketch up and Fusion 360 can also get your feet wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back