Transmission stuttering on takeoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 chevy malibu maxx 3.5l 145,000 miles 4 speed automatic.

When I take off a little harder than normal from a dead stop I get an odd "jerky" or "stuttering" from the car. I can't tell if its coming from the transmission or not. It's almost like something is turning but skipping and then it settles into its groove. I have noticed no odd RPMs or noticed any real loss of power. It appears to happen more when I have been driving for awhile. There seems to be no real delay when I change gears while the car is parked, and seems to shift fine for the most part when driving. I just had the dealership change out a leaking transmission cooler line and drop the pan and repalce the filter. According to the work order they did just this and a flush. The car was doing this before the work was done but just not as much it seems.

Make sure your atf level is OK. Throw in a bottle of Lubegard Red or Shutter Fix. Nothing to lose but $10 if it doesn't help, which it very well may.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
Make sure your atf level is OK. Throw in a bottle of Lubegard Red or Shutter Fix. Nothing to lose but $10 if it doesn't help, which it very well may.

I did buy a can of BG ATC Plus, but that lubegard seems like it may be better.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Any stored codes? Engine performance issues can often seem like transmission issues as one effects the other.

No codes other than the coolant not getting to operating temp when its cold out, and one about the oil pressure switch.

Originally Posted By: zeke1985
Originally Posted By: user52165

I did buy a can of BG ATC Plus, but that lubegard seems like it may be better.

First thing make sure the level is ok. If low take back to dealer for them to fill it. I know some anti-additive guys that work on cars for a living. LG is the only one they recommend. They even put it in freshly rebuilt transmissions.

Low ATF level. Just a pint or so. first shift from 1 to 2 will slip. Afterward, shifts normal when warm.

PS, stomping gas on cold takeoff aint helpin.

Originally Posted By: zeke1985
Any stored codes? Engine performance issues can often seem like transmission issues as one effects the other.

No codes other than the coolant not getting to operating temp when its cold out, and one about the oil pressure switch.

A failed coolant sensor can effect the transmission operation, one thing I leaned a long time ago is to first repair any known issues that may effect other components before chasing down something. The oil pressure switch code is common and may be nothing at all.
Not saying that is the problem or changing it will fix it but it is a known issue that may effect the operation.

This is something.

Quote:
The TCC apply should occur in fourth gear (also
third gear in some applications), and should not apply
until the transaxle fluid has reached a minimum
operating temperature of 8C (46F) and the engine
coolant temperature reaches 50C (122F)

Here is a manual for this transmission.

https://www.all-trans.by/assets/site/files/gm/4T40E.pdf

This is something.

Quote:
The TCC apply should occur in fourth gear
coolant temperature reaches 50C (122F)

Well......

Not really.
My F150 is the same way, and the only thing that is affected is TCC (TQ conv lock-up)

It just allows for the transmission and engine to be warmed up a bit before the converter locks,
no other transmission functions are affected.

A bad sensor can cause drivability issues with the engine that may appear to be transmission problems and also effect transmission function like lock up. Like I said I am not saying this is the cause of the transmission problem but may be effecting the engine which is causing symptoms of a transmission problem.
Preventing lockup is also to get the engine in closed loop sooner.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Low ATF level. Just a pint or so. first shift from 1 to 2 will slip. Afterward, shifts normal when warm.

PS, stomping gas on cold takeoff aint helpin.

I don't stomp on the gas normally. I discovered this issue the few times I did have to take off faster than normal. Since then I have been trying to induce it to try and get a better feel for how to describe the issue. Anyway I put some lubegard red in earlier today. I'll drive it for a few days and see if anything changes. If not I guess I'll take it back to the dealership. And checking the fluid level on this car is insane. You have to have the engine running and then take out a plug and see if the fluid drips out. Only issue is I can't see the plug with the car flat and level on the ground. Literally was the entire reason I didn't do the filter change myself.

*UPDATE* Took the car last month to a tranny shop. They said it was the forward clutch and would need to be rebuilt. 2800 to 3400 bucks. I got lucky and had the car totaled from a hail storm and got over 3 grand from the insurance company for it. Went and got a new car. Was not gonna throw that much money into a car that was not worth it and risk having more issues in the future that may be pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back