Grease specs that made you think "wow pretty good"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than exotic greases (like the stuff thats hundreds per tube) have you ever stumbled across a data sheet for a grease and seen a test result that stood out?

Ive gone over a number of data sheets so ill start:

Lucas heavy duty mining/construction grease with moly has a load wear index of 147

Texas refinery corp paragon 3000 has a .65% water washout @79 deg C

Not meant to be a whats the best grease thread or an in depth discussion of the importance of any single test.

The test stops when you run out of space to put weights. I've seen 1000+ kg. myself. 800 kg is as high as the ASTM method reports, but its possible to go higher.

Wow, that data sheet is some excellent marketing! Had me wanting to buy a tube for my dirt bike wheel/steering/suspension bearings!

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Four Ball E.P. Weld Point >800 kgs. It is actually higher, but the test stops at 800.
Schaeffers new 219

I'm actually quite impressed by the ASTM D3233 Method A result on that PDS and I'm curious how y'all managed to run that on an NLGI 2 grease.

Yeh, searching for a grease that I'd actually heard of here, I found some "Liki Hara" stuff which said

“Made Product American” on it.

Must be good, surely?

But maybe they just mean they’d made the product seem American by writing bad English on the packaging, appealing to a more redneck customer base?

They seem to be pretty globalized, though, since a web search turned up The British Swiss Corporation (Taoyuan) as a source, ( for another of their products) which of course implies massive integrity combined with uber-anal attention to detail

http://www.jyc555.com.tw/ShowItem.php?id=4845&sid=9f90674b4eb05d3fcf711f7572646b46

This was one of the few I found which gave any clue as to what was in it, though a rather enigmatic one

"Moly none (3%). "

I’d guess their made-American corporate lawyers have a lot of fun cooking up product descriptions like that.

Last edited:
Also found cartridges of “Mystical” lithium complex grease “for many purposes”, in EP and non-EP versions.

Don’t have a grease gun here so I didn’t want a cartridge.

Don’t have religion either, so a brand-name like “Mystical” doesn’t give me much confidence.

I think its meant to, though, since it probably sounds sort-of-familiar to y'all.

The best greases are those that are well balanced with respect to formula and performance. Performance should reflect the requirements of an application. However, some OEMs do specify grease performance beyond the requirements of their equipment. We have to formulate to that level of performance regardless of application requirements.

This having been said, we formulated an open gear lubricant for electric rope shovels that have under-designed hoist drum gears. The PDS for this product reports the ASTM D2596 weld point as >800 kgf. Its actual weld point is >1000 kgf. It has a Load Wear Index of 225 kgf.

On another topic, companies and people touting how fantastic their products are should proofread their PDSs to be sure that test titles, ASTM or other standard method numbers and result reporting formats are correct.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Four Ball E.P. Weld Point >800 kgs. It is actually higher, but the test stops at 800.
Schaeffers new 219

Heads up...the test standard referenced in the sheet for the 4 ball ep test is incorrect.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Also found cartridges of “Mystical” lithium complex grease “for many purposes”, in EP and non-EP versions.

Don’t have a grease gun here so I didn’t want a cartridge.

Don’t have religion either, so a brand-name like “Mystical” doesn’t give me much confidence.

I think its meant to, though, since it probably sounds sort-of-familiar to y'all.
Isn't it "Mystik" grease? Not familiar with "MysticaL" grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back