UAO Mobil1 AFE 0W20 2015 Malibu 4,995 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got a UAO again on my maibu. Oil life was at around 9%. They mentioned iron is a bit high for the milage/ppm. And what do you think about the flash point? Also refilled with PPPP 0w20 and a napa gold.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766

Got a UAO again on my maibu. Oil life was at around 9%. They mentioned iron is a bit high for the milage/ppm. And what do you think about the flash point? Also refilled with PPPP 0w20 and a napa gold.

You have a pretty good record of multiple UOAs using Mobil-1 showing 20+ Iron so I'm looking forward to seeing your UOA after your run of PPPP.

Last edited:
I think oil change before this was napa full syn 0w20... maybe its from tht.

So the iron number seems consistent, even with a different oil? It also seems to mirror the Universal Averages, so that may just be typical for this engine.

It really bothers me that M1 0w20 doesn't hold it's viscosity very well. I've seen that in every one of my UOAs with it. I don't understand technically why this happens, you'd think a 0w20 would be more stable than a 5w30, and M1 5w30 holds it's viscosity very well.

Originally Posted By: Patman
It really bothers me that M1 0w20 doesn't hold it's viscosity very well. I've seen that in every one of my UOAs with it. I don't understand technically why this happens, you'd think a 0w20 would be more stable than a 5w30, and M1 5w30 holds it's viscosity very well.

Given the drop in flash point, I'd say fuel would be a factor here.

True, but I have a lot of UOAs with M1 0w20 where I had zero fuel in the oil and it still thinned out to under 7cst. I'm hoping that the PUP 5w20 that I will be using on my next interval in my Honda will hold it's viscosity better.

True, but I have a lot of UOAs with M1 0w20 where I had zero fuel in the oil and it still thinned out to under 7cst. I'm hoping that the PUP 5w20 that I will be using on my next interval in my Honda will hold it's viscosity better.

If those are Blackstone UOAs though I wouldn't trust anything they tell you about fuel dilution. I think a lot of times on here when people point to "shearing" it is instead fuel dilution or an improper viscosity measurement. It will be interesting to see what the other oil shows, although fuel dilution is variable with climate and operating conditions so it may still be inconclusive.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

If those are Blackstone UOAs though I wouldn't trust anything they tell you about fuel dilution. I think a lot of times on here when people point to "shearing" it is instead fuel dilution or an improper viscosity measurement. It will be interesting to see what the other oil shows, although fuel dilution is variable with climate and operating conditions so it may still be inconclusive.

Exactly. Have to look at flashpoint t know.

Gabriel, was your driving mostly city/short trip type drives? My wife's 2017 3.6 Impala is currently at 34% percent with around 3,400 kms on it basically driving around in those scenarios.

I was thinking to myself, that seems pretty short but then again with the extra idling, cold winter, short trips, I assume it's normal with GM's these days?

I think oil change before this was napa full syn 0w20... maybe its from tht.

It's best to run two OCIs with the same oil before doing a UOA.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Check your head gasket
There would be potassium if coolant were getting into the oil. The sodium is from the high-sodium NAPA (really Valvoline, dexos1 Gen1 formula) previous oil changes.

About the drop in KV100 visc, a drop of 1.5 cSt here isn't that bad. Normally in 5k miles like this visc will drop, some from fuel dilution, and some due to VII breakdown, and then KV100 starts to rise as it passes around 7k miles due to oxidation beginning to happen (anti-oxidants breaking down, TBN getting low allows oxidation to happen more and more).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back