Jump-N-Carry JNC318

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked this little gem up in November. After looking at all sorts of mostly bogus reviews I finally saw a guy on you tube testing it, his reviews seemed the most legit.
It is made by Clore Automotive the same company that makes the Solar brand chargers, I have a few products from them all of them good so that helped make my decision.

It is heavier and bigger than most of the others I looked at and seems very robust, it seems the weight is not from excess over molding either, larger physical battery? the other thing I notice is some of the physically smaller units claim outrageous power but in reality the 12ga cable could never handle that amperage without going up in smoke.

It has a couple of things that I really like. The most important is the pre heat, if you live in cold areas of the country and leave this in the vehicle you need this. It warms its own battery before use for full power.
The other thing is the 10A outlet for inflators and most importantly for me the Power Probe. take this and the proble to a junk yard and use it to power all sorts of things before removing them and opening trunk lids as most cars do not have batteries or keys.
The case is good quality and it comes in a sold iphone grade box not some flimsy corrugated box.

This is what it comes with, the cables could be a little longer and I would like 10ga better but the clamps are well done and full size. the cables are very flexible even at -15f I found that out the hard way, it did jump my brothers 4.6 Tundra with no problem.
The pre heat worked exactly as they advertise.

The pre heat switch and main cable connection, just wait till the light turns green and its ready, takes about 2 min. It has a rubber cover.

The charging port 2 USB and 12V accessory port. This is one thing I dont like the USB are 2.1 Amp and a little much for a cell phone, yes they charge it but the phone battery gets very warm, the solution is use a car charger in the 12V port. They are fine foe ipad and larger USB powered items. Not a deal breaker but one with 1A and one with 2A would have been better.

Illuminated info screen, just the info that's important and not too busy. 94% with no charge since nov, jumped a car and powered the probe numerous times, not bad at all.

The twin LED flashlight is decent, flash and SOS modes also.

Weight 727 grams about 2lb with nothing hanging off it. It feels substantial.

8" (20cm) long

3.5" (8.9cm) wide

1.5" (3.8cm) tall

This is a great use for this unit, powering the Power Probe. Using the 12V accessory port does not activate the display or jump circuits.

Overall I am very satisfied with this small unit, it does everything I need and demand from it. Like all battery operated toys its lifespan is finite but if I get three years out of it I will buy another.
The company does provide an $89 service label for repair after warranty but its not worth it when the thing cost $95 new.

So far it has jumped one V8, powered the probe to test a BMW, MB and VW electric mirror with heat, a blower motor, VW secondary air pump and a few other parts in the yard before I took them out and opened quite a few trunks. All these things would have been bought otherwise untested, the three mirrors and air motor alone would have been over 2K new. For me the pack has paid for itself times over.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07212VPNG?ref=emc_b_5_t

The guy took his video down of this, I guess he problems from one when he cold tested them and the other performed poorly.
After reading how that company demanded positive even fraudulent reviews for provided product or else, they were never on my list.
I bought this one from Amazon and don't post reviews other than here.

Thanks for the review.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The charging port 2 USB and 12V accessory port. This is one thing I dont like the USB are 2.1 Amp and a little much for a cell phone, yes they charge it but the phone battery gets very warm, the solution is use a car charger in the 12V port. They are fine foe ipad and larger USB powered items. Not a deal breaker but one with 1A and one with 2A would have been better.

The 2.1 Amp rating on the USB port is just the max current that this port can deliver. But it is up to the device being charged to determine how much current it will draw. Another words, if you charge a device that can only draw 1A of current, then that's all there will flow. If a device does draw the whole 2.1A, then it means it was designed to do so. I would not worry.

I read that also but I read conflicting reports on that. I do know for a fact the iphone gets too warm on the 2A USB port on my docking station (its live all the time even laptop off) but on the 1A iphone supplied charger it remains cool.
The way I understand it is the iphone will accept 2A for fast charge but it reduces battery life.
21.gif

I've put my wife's samsung on a ice-pack and monitored its charging voltage/ amperage. It jumps up to 8V/1.5A with its own dedicated charger when all is well. The phone obviously monitors its battery temp because when I move it it throttles back.

Since that's somewhat of an emergency pack it would be a good tool to get a phone from 0% to 60% in a hurry.

I have something similar. Never used it. Had it for a year now.

The instructions said the top off the charge every 3 months. I have a reminder set in my phone's calendar for that. We lost power for about 8 hours a couple weeks ago and I remembered about this battery in my trunk and was going to use it for my phone but the power was restored. Seems like a useful thing to have.

I have two of the clore products, the PL2320 charger and the JNC Air, both of which are top quality products, I would imagine all their stuff should be pretty good based on my experience

Experience with their other products was the main reason I started checking this one out, I have the PL2520 and the Solar BA9 quick tester and am very satisfied with them.

I don't think you understand how power supplies, USB ports, and battery charging works if you're complaining it has a 2A USB port. The phone is only going to draw what it needs, up to the maximum the port can provide. If you have a 1A port, the phone can not charge as fast, so of course the phone will not get as warm.

Last edited:
I understand how they work I just don't want to possibly shorten the battery life of the phone by getting the battery hot.
There is a lot of discussions about using ipad chargers on iphones, the new phones can take 12w the 2A puts out.
Just because it can charge at 12w doesn't necessarily mean it should if you want the longest life out of the battery. Why does Apple include a 1A charger instead of the 2A cube?

Great review! Did I miss the "Made In XXX" portion? I mean if Paul bought and put a good word for MIC product, I am wondering if somebody hacked in to his account :)

Last edited:
Good review. It looks like I'll be buying one for the summer driving season. Thanks for posting.

Given that even the cheapest one cost $50, a good one for $100 is a great price. The question is will it keep its charge and will it be usable in year or two?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Given that even the cheapest one cost $50, a good one for $100 is a great price. The question is will it keep its charge and will it be usable in year or two?

Stay tuned, I'm sure Trav will update when the time comes.
wink.gif

I got that exact one for 96$ last october.. used it a few times..

actually I accidentally left the light on in stobe mode for over a day and it was still at 70%+

The light is Decent. plenty bright but not crazy.. definitely usable.

The important thing here is preheat mode.. if you need to use it in an actual winter.. and its stored in your car and not a heated building.. makes it work soo much better.

Most people know normal lead acid battery puts out less in the cold.. lithium-ion batteries are more affected.

I carry one in the car otherwise there is not much point in owning it for me anyway, in the winter the preheat mode is huge in a cold climate like you say batteries run down in cold and although I only used it once it worked like a champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back