2005 Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a Google search through this site and found posts here and there contradicting at times. I think I found that the NAPA filter line (7712 number) meet the 23 psi bypass pressure Subaru has. But then I ran across some things on here that say the NAPA/Wix filters have a tendency to leak on Subarus.

Any of this still true? Changed? Nobody knows? Ignorant opinions? Knowledgeable opinions? Any facts? Rumors? Ha!

Thanks in advance. Hoping to find a 23 psi that doesn't leak...maybe I should just get the Subaru OEM from the dealer I can't stand. But making two trips is annoying when I already need to stop at NAPA.

Weigh the discomfort you experience patronizing a dealer you "can't stand" against other available discomforts.
For example:
1) The "D" of going farther to another dealership you might like better
2) The "D" of paying shipping for something like 1 or 3 oil filters
3) The "D" of trusting quality brands like Wix or Hastings
4) The "D" of having to rebuild the engine early when that trust (see #3) is betrayed

Go get one Subaru filter and stop torturing yourself. With luck, you'll smash the Subaru up and you'll be free.

Am I overreacting? Are you over thinking?

Originally Posted By: Kira

Go get one Subaru filter and stop torturing yourself.
Am I overreacting? Are you over thinking?

Lol priceless! Also this is my life (overthinking).

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
Did a Google search through this site and found posts here and there contradicting at times. I think I found that the NAPA filter line (7712 number) meet the 23 psi bypass pressure Subaru has. But then I ran across some things on here that say the NAPA/Wix filters have a tendency to leak on Subarus.

Any of this still true? Changed? Nobody knows? Ignorant opinions? Knowledgeable opinions? Any facts? Rumors? Ha!

Thanks in advance. Hoping to find a 23 psi that doesn't leak...maybe I should just get the Subaru OEM from the dealer I can't stand. But making two trips is annoying when I already need to stop at NAPA.

I'm running a Napa 7712 on my 2005 right now. It's usually my go to filter when I haven't grabbed something else on sale. Never had a Napa (or any other) leak on this engine.

I have a 2003 and had a 2005.. they all got whatever filter was on sale, mostly walmart or pro select. Never leaked.

I always use the Fram PH9715 on ours. It's Fram's retail version of the OEM filter they manufacture for Subaru, and as such has the proper bypass pressure. I've never had one leak, and they always look excellent when I cut them open.

Just finished the change. The Valvoline quick lube place that did the last change didn't tighten everything to an ungodly level, which was amazing! Took out a full gallon, filled a milk jug. Noticed a little oil collecting on the bottom of the filter. The Valvoline filter may not have been sealing perfectly. Or it's a leak from elsewhere. No proof either way that I could tell.

The Valvoline filter said "made in USA" and had the little slits in the center tube like other brands I've seen. Purolator? STP? Who makes Valvoline filters now?

Also, didn't cut apart but the filter was full of oil. It's mounted seal up so not sure that implies good ADBV or gravity (probably gravity). No visual issues looking through the center of the filter. Nothing crushed or anything.

Anyway, quick easy oil change! I love those!

I dont think I have ever purchased a factory Subaru filter. I use whatever I can find and never any issues. Never any leaks either. Heck, I ran a cheapo supertech filter years ago for 12k and it was just fine in my previous 1997 Legacy 2.2L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back