Lubrizol Q&A - GDI Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the Lubrizol Q&A! As a leading formulator of additive technology for passenger car engine oils, we strive to improve efficiency and deliver higher performance to meet the needs of engine manufacturers, oil marketers and vehicle owners around the world .

We've created this post to help BITOG members like you share your knowledge and experience with other experts in the field. We plan to engage you in a series of questions relating to vehicle service and maintenance and look forward to your comments and questions.

To best appreciate your area of expertise, please begin all responses with the category that best describes you from the list below.
Example Response: Service, Most of the customers I see at my shop know the type of engine in the car.

• Marketer - Work for Engine Oil Manufacturer/Marketer
• Sales - Employed by Retailer/Auto Parts Store
• Service - Service Provider or Technician at Dealership/Maintenance Shop/Express Oil Change
• Owner - Vehicle Owner or Driver

Our first question is below.

Thanks for your help and enjoy!
The Lubrizol Team

Question 1- What are the most common terms you've heard people use when describing their late model car engine? In your experience, do owners of vehicles with gas direct injection (GDI) or turbo GDI (TGDI) engines realize they have these types of engines?

• Owner - Vehicle Owner or Driver

Most know if they have a turbo but don't know, understand, or care if there is direct injection involved.

Owner - I think most drivers are generally aware if they have a turbo or not, but I haven't talked to anybody in person who had any idea what direct injection was compared to PFI. I think most people realize that only old car engines have carburetors now!

A question for you...can you discuss what impacts reducing calcium and sodium levels for dexos1 Gen 2 and SN Plus have had on the rest of the additives in your oils? There was a link to an interesting article posted here recently that suggested that reducing calcium detergent levels and increasing magnesium detergent levels interfered with MoS2 film formation and that boron-based dispersants could help to mitigate that effect. Did any other "gotchas" like that come up during the formulation of the newest generation of automotive oils?

Most of them don't use the term "engine." It's motor. When the first "motor" shows up, I'm gone. How do you like being part of BH? Must be a good company because Warren only invests in winners.

Last edited:
I work in service. I will usually ask the customers what kind of engine they have. About 90% of the time there answer is: The bigger one or the V8. When in fact they almost always have the 4 cylinder. Most people don't know nor do they care. Usually they know there car "takes a special oil". That "special oil" is synthetic.

Owner- Aside from other enthusiasts like myself most people I talk to have no clue what is under their hood, other than a "motor." They might know how many cylinders, maybe. That's about it, they have no clue if it is EFI or GDI.

Owner - no one in my office of 18 people knew what I was talking about when I asked if the engine in what they drive is direct injection or port injection. I have only ever heard enthusiasts talk about DI and various engine technology.

Owner - I know a lot about the technical aspects of my direct injection VW engine. But most people I talk to have no idea what is in their car. Almost nobody I talk to knows what Top Tier fuel is or why they should use it. Ignorance for many is bless, I guess!

Owner - Unless they drive a hybrid or a pick-up, the vast majority of vehicle owners have no idea what engine, let alone what "form" of engine, is under their hood. Once explained in layman's terms, they typically get it. We BITOGers can be a picky bunch, but what enthusiast group isn't?

Owner - Based on previous conversations, I'd say in the range of half the men in my office are aware of the type of engine, if it's GDI or TGDI, and displacement...and they describe them pretty accurately. Personally, I think the responses here will tend to skew the truth to some degree if there's a natural aesthetic on this site to begin with that "nobody does maintenance" and "nobody knows what they drive", "nobody ever opens the hood", etc. I don't find that to be the case in my everyday interactions with co-workers, family, and other people where the topic comes up.

Owner - Should we be concerned about 'protection (dilution etc.)' when using the automobile mfc's primary viscosity recommendations now that we see as low as 0W-16 becoming more prevalent and some turbo applications having a recommended 0W-20 viscosity?

thumbsup2.gif
for the Q&A

Service - Less than half of my clients know what type of engine they have. EcoBoost owners typically know they have turbos, but GDI is a technical detail lost on most.

Owner; I would say my "non-car guys & gals" know if they have a hybrid or a gasoline only car, and they know how many cylinders it has. But GDI is not on their radar screen. If I asked them, it would be the same as asking them whether they had forged or cast pistons. GDI is just not something that has caught on with the public.

Owner - Vehicle Owner or Driver

Question 1- What are the most common terms you've heard people use when describing their late model car engine? In your experience, do owners of vehicles with gas direct injection (GDI) or turbo GDI (TGDI) engines realize they have these types of engines?

The most common terms I've heard relate to fuel mileage or that it is peppy. Most of my friends have no idea what technology is in their engine. All they care about is that when they push down the gas pedal, the vehicle moves.

Owner

Family of 4. Wife, clueless and doesn't care what her BMW has under the hood. Dealer maintained.

Son, a musician, must be reminded to check the oil level in his 2004 Volvo turbo. He is frequently way out of town. When home, I maintain his car. He likes the power of the turbo in the frequently loaded to the roof wagon. Although he would understand if port vs GDI were explained, his eyes would glass over.

Daughter knows to use Top Tier fuel in her GDI Hyundai. She helps maintain her car and sons Volvo.

I maintain my 4 cars (1 with carburetor) and two garden tractors using only synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: Lubrizol

Owner-vehicle owner or driver.

I think people do know if the have GDI , especially TGDI. But i'm not sure most know what that means. I don't think they know it has more compression , why it can have more compression. And i don't think they know the caveats in regard to the intake valve buildup.

Last edited:
owner i know quite a bit + enjoy learning more, thats why i am here. family members i change oil etc for know little + care less. brother-in-law knows a bit. i DIY almost everything + question manufacturer recommendations as well because they must answer to the EPA among others + care less if the thinner oil at operating temps is not good for longevity, but only that it adds a 1/4 to 1/2 mpg helping their meet the fuel mileage mandates!! few understand how temperatures affect their oil + think the watery oils are still fine on their well worn 100,000 engine NOT!!!!

Owner - I do basic car maintenance (oil changes, ATF D/F, brakes, etc) and frequent BITOG. I do know the engine types, turbo/non-turbo, # of cylinders, etc that are in our cars

I don't know what "GDI" means. I believe it's related to the fuel-injection design/type. At the end of the day, I don't care....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back