Venison roast

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So we have a local grocer that now carries venison. Of course my kids absolutely love it so while I'm home for a few days my wife picked up some sausages and a roast. I'm doing the roast this evening, it'll be the first time I've had it this way, so it's a bit of an experiment
grin.gif

Here's where I'm at so far, it has been in the oven for about an hour and a half:

I assume others on here have cooked this before, what did you think? How long did you cook it for? I was going to temp probe at 2hrs and see where I'm at.

Originally Posted By: dave123
I like med rare and tenderloin rare rare to raw.

Unfortunately this ended up roughly well-done. My daughter loves it, and I didn't dry it out, but I would have preferred it a bit more rare. 2 hours was a bit too long. An hour 45 would have been much better.

When it gets pat med u gotta go hrs on it till it falls apart looked good though

In a pan with vegetables, that's a wet braise. Great for tough cuts of meat at a low temp. The meat temp won't rise above the boiling point of water so it's near impossible to overcook. However you can turn the vegetables into mush.

Not sure on the SOP for dry roasting venison in an oven. Never done it before.

I just finished braising a 4# bottom rump roast I picked up for 50% off. Couldn't pass that up. It'll last a few days with carrots & potatoes, fresh bread & butter and some nice red wine.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
So we have a local grocer that now carries venison. Of course my kids absolutely love it so while I'm home for a few days my wife picked up some sausages and a roast. I'm doing the roast this evening, it'll be the first time I've had it this way, so it's a bit of an experiment
grin.gif

Here's where I'm at so far, it has been in the oven for about an hour and a half:

I assume others on here have cooked this before, what did you think? How long did you cook it for? I was going to temp probe at 2hrs and see where I'm at.

I have had that at brothers. He smokes his for 2-3 hours. What beer did you enjoy with this?

Originally Posted By: car51

I have had that at brothers. He smokes his for 2-3 hours. What beer did you enjoy with this?

I had a DAB
grin.gif

When I was younger, when my dad or I got a deer, my mom would do the roast with brussel sprouts, potatoes, carrots...
I used to love that.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
When I was younger, when my dad or I got a deer, my mom would do the roast with brussel sprouts, potatoes, carrots...
I used to love that.

Sounds great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back