Oil filter magnets again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotty's understanding of filtration seems incomplete.

He shows a pic of nails and other ferrous parts and makes two questionable assumptions:

1. 99% efficiency (at the micron level provided by the specific filter he showed) is adequate to filter out all ferrous particles

2. The ferrous metal produced indicates a major problem - i.e., if you need to use a magnetic filter, then it's like, "closing the barn door after the horses are already out."

I'm experimenting with some strong magnets on both vehicles' filter; this is the first time I've tried this. I strongly opposed using magnets previously, but now think that a magnet removing particles smaller than what be filtered by the filter is quite possible. We'll see.

Magnets could provide some benefits:
1: If placed on a drain plug, you can monitor a trend of ferrous material being collected.
2: Increases the oil filter capacity
3: Keeps some ferrous material away from the oil pump.

One and three are my justifications for using a magnet on my drain plugs.

Want to put a magnet inside return part of the OF tube, to see just how much iron gets by the filter.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Can someone please tell Scotty to lay off the coke before doing his videos!?

It's subliminal advertising, mechanic and YouTuber are side jobs
wink.gif

Want to put a magnet inside return part of the OF tube, to see just how much iron gets by the filter. [/quote]

Pretty good idea. Some magnets structure is compromised by high heats. I'd be worried about the potential for pieces of the magnet breaking off, however UNlikely that might be.

Another point to make: I obviously need to cut my filters open in order to see if there is any ferrous fines; unlike you, who checks it via the normal removal of the drain plug, which is much easier.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Forget the magnets.

Very compelling argument - do go on!
35.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
"Scotty" is a tool.

Filter magnets (and drain plug magnets) pick up material, period.

+1

I always have ferris material on the inside of my filters (cut open) opposite a little earth magnet I stick on the outside.

Even if you say, ''well the filter would have caught it.'' Regardless, it didn't make it through the filter and that's what's important.

Back when I had my 2002 Toyota Tacoma I installed a remote filter setup for the automatic transmission. I used a filter mag.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Magnets could provide some benefits:
1: If placed on a drain plug, you can monitor a trend of ferrous material being collected.
2: Increases the oil filter capacity
3: Keeps some ferrous material away from the oil pump.

One and three are my justifications for using a magnet on my drain plugs.

I use a very strong magnetic drain plug for the same reasons (item 1 & 3, not really for 2 - won't make any real difference there).

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Want to put a magnet inside return part of the OF tube, to see just how much iron gets by the filter.

What super small ferrous particles that get by the filter are eventually picked up by the magnetic drain plug and/or magnet(s) on the filter. No need to put a magnet on the clean side of the media ... IMO, not a good idea anyway in case a bunch comes off for some reason.

While Scotty may offer some occasional good advice, I have come to the conclusion that most of what he says on his YouTube videos is good for one thing, and one thing only - Entertainment.

That Scotty Kilmer guy is a high strung raving maniac.Whatever happened to New England's own Brad Sears from "Last Chance Garage"? He was dull,unexciting and snoozeworthy,but he was professional,knowledgeable and accurate.

Scotty uses some of the same messed up logic others do on why not to use certain things. If magnets didn't catch ferrous particles you'd always see completely clean magnets after their use. He shows a Bosch filter that is "99% efficient", then shows micron size chart for comparisons, but he doesn't realize at what micron level the filter is 99% efficient. He also doesn't realize that most of those ferrous particles are from normal engine wear, and if they weren't caught then they just circulate around and around in the engine for thousands of miles. IMO, every particle of debris that can be caught by the filter or a magnet is one less particle going round and round inside the engine.

I think Scotty is entertaining, to say the least.

Magnet is just another form of protection, sure it's NOT needed but I am using some free magnets, so nothing to lose
laugh.gif

I have neodymium magnets that I use epoxy to affix them. The epoxy covers the magnet entirely. The only concern I would have is the magnet releasing the fragments collected if it was to reach certain temp. However, the drain plug magnets are always caked at the highest temp my oil ever sees.

I like Scotty but....
1. Old cars had big tolerances and didn't last as long
2. The smaller particles smaller than 20 microns is what the magnet would help catch.
3. Of course oil has metal particles in it. It is called wear metals and care shown in UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back