Receiving duplicate autoparts in the mail; scam??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever receive a duplicate autopart in the mail, just like one you just received the day before, but from overseas shipper?

I can't help but think it's a scam, that or just a mixup.

Ordered a small exhaust piece on amazon, received it from the right US company. Great! The next day a company half way around the world air-mails me the same exhaust piece with no explanation, and no separate order on amazon.

Its only worth a couple bucks, and I'm sure not shipping it back half way around the world. Should I be leery?

yes, but each time it was a screw up and the entity issued a call tag for the item back.

UD

I'm not sure how it works in the USA, but in the UK unsolicited goods should be kept for a reasonable time - no definition of how long is 'reasonable'. and the sender is wholly responsible for shipping costs.
It used to be a popular scam to send stuff, then demand payment, or charge outrageous return shipping. So a law was passed to prevent this.

Claud.

I went through something similiar many years ago. I ordered a complete gasket set for a v8 international from jcwhitney. It got cancelled and my credit card refunded because they were out of stock. A month later it showed up!

I called and sent it back. A day or so later another complete gasket set showed up. I called them again and sent it back. 3 weeks later 4 complete international scout v8 gasket sets showed up! All taped together.

I called again and jcwhitney had no record of any of them. Told me to keep them. Good thing because at that rate I would have had 8 gasket sets show up. LOL

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I went through something similiar many years ago. I ordered a complete gasket set for a v8 international from jcwhitney. It got cancelled and my credit card refunded because they were out of stock. A month later it showed up!

I called and sent it back. A day or so later another complete gasket set showed up. I called them again and sent it back. 3 weeks later 4 complete international scout v8 gasket sets showed up! All taped together.

I called again and jcwhitney had no record of any of them. Told me to keep them. Good thing because at that rate I would have had 8 gasket sets show up. LOL

Lol! You should be set on gaskets for awhile! That read just like a comedy skit...

A few years ago I received a package from Amazon with my name and address on it, but I had not ordered anything. I opened the package and it was a milk frother...I called Amazon and explained and they told me to keep it, donate or whatever.

I collect NASCAR 1/64 duecasts. I bought one last year from Amazon and ended up with a case of them. I got a hold of Amazon and told them what happened since I really only one 1 of each. They said to keep it. So if anyone wants an Aric Almirola Air Force #43 let me know.

I had a dupe from eBay. They said keep it. I had another one from a direct warehouse. They never responded. so I waited, waited, sold it on ebay lol.

There used to be a TV commercial on that....a mailman delivers a fancy alloy wheel to a grandmother type,she is taken aback by it.The voiceover said if you didn't order it..its yours...for free.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

This is wonderful.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
In the USA its clear, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

Careful!!!

FTC-"Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment."

This is not unordered mechandise. It is a duplicate order or second shipment. If the sender realizes this, they can ask for it to be returned at their expense (call tag, etc).

Legal Mumbo Jumbo Disclaimer-This is not to be construed as legal advice.

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool

Careful!!!

FTC-"Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment."

This is not unordered mechandise. It is a duplicate order or second shipment. If the sender realizes this, they can ask for it to be returned at their expense (call tag, etc).

Legal Mumbo Jumbo Disclaimer-This is not to be construed as legal advice.

Yes, it is still unordered. You ordered one and got two, so one is ordered and the other is unordered
smile.gif

I ordered a 32GB USB drive a few years back. Amazon sent me a box full of them! I was willing to return them, as they were over $10 each, but they let me keep them!

Realistically a vendor should be polite as anything when demanding a return of an unordered part. Would be very easy for the customer to say "what part, I only ordered one and got one".

I bought some hemp sandals from "The Ohio Hempery" back in the 90's. They blew apart in a hurry. Called them up and got a refund on my card (unbeknownst to me.) Mailed them back and got a 2nd refund on my card. Cleared it up with them and made it right by everyone.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

Interesting! I imagine someone at the US company hitting the wrong button, having their overseas supplier drop ship it to me and shipping me one themselves at the same time.

That sounds about right. I would call them but no pay a dime for return shipping or anything else if they asked.

I bet it's a drop shipping mistake. Some sellers/businesses don't keep the merchandise themselves. When you order their system farms the order out to some other people to handle. Maybe they sent the order twice to two different places.

in the 90's i ordered about $1000 worth of tv/video parts.
flybacks,hots,a few projection crt's.
order arrives i stock shelves and get to work on the units i needed the parts for.
some was closeout stuff that i knew i would eventually use so i had really stocked up on some parts.
a few days pass and i come home to another 60lb box on my porch.
yes its a dupe of my last order.
checked my card and i had not been charged.
called company and explained that i got double shipped.
they say that its not possible for this to happen.
they stopped short of telling me to keep it but they did not want it back either.
3 days later yet another box.
finally one of the guys in the shipping department told me that he knows what happened but if the erroneous shipments came back in the building eyebrows would be raised and heads would roll.
i guess coming up $2000 short of stock would not be as bad as admitting to the errors.
i am still using parts from this event as some of the equipment is now classic and retro.
and things like the flybacks for the electrohome vector scan monitors are unobtainable now!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back