2005 Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a driveway to change oil in this weekend, I'm hoping. I have some NAPA synthetic I've been trying to use up but need to buy a filter and 1 extra quart. Any filter recommendations for the Subaru? I run it 7-8K miles before changing (about 5-7 months). FRAM lists the 9715 as the filter but says the 6607 can be used in place of. I think the 6607 has a lower bypass pressure rating and don't Subarus like higher ratings (like 22 or something?!?). Or does that matter at all?

The local dealer wants like $8 for a filter and a dealer about an hour away wants $5.xx...but to drive that far for a cheaper price doesn't make sense in terms of gas cost. Anyway, I can't stand giving the local dealer money so I'd rather buy from a parts store unless that bypass pressure is imperative. Looking online the 9715 doesn't seem to be carried widely but the 6607 is. Plus I need 1 more quart of oil so I'll probably end up at NAPA to match the oil brand.

Ideas, opinions, comments, off-topic memes?

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
I like NAPA Platinum filters. Good for that OCI. Looks like #47712 for your Subie.
Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
I like NAPA Platinum filters. Good for that OCI. Looks like #47712 for your Subie.

Yeah, I just looked up the specs and it looks like the 7712 is the right bypass pressure of 23psi recommended by Subaru, too.

Parking-Garage.jpg

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well you could always get a filter at Walmart and save the travel money for the filter.

Trying to search online for our local Walmart's inventory is a joke. Worst website ever if searching for car parts...I know they carry 5 qt jugs of PP but it doesn't list that or QSUD...even though I've been there and know they carry it. So, no Walmart for me!!!

If you like Fram and can't find the 9715, don't use the 6607. Use the longer 7317 instead. But your first choice with Fram really should be the correct high-bypass spec 9715 if possible for you to obtain, even if you have to buy it online. Unfortunately, Fram does not make an Ultra XG9715, but even the orange cans do have a silicone ADBV now.

The Napa Platinum 47712 would be the best choice for a Subaru-specific filter since it has the wire-backed synthetic media like the Ultra, and is actually available in your Subaru-specific high bypass, unlike the Ultra. Remember that Napa Platinum is the same as Wix XP, so the XP part number is 57712XP

Napa has their Platinum filters on sale this month for $9. Even though it's more than a dealer OEM filter, it is still a good deal for a wire-backed synthetic filter and the same price Walmart usually charges for spin-on Fram Ultras

FWIW, the OEM dealer filter is probably a cardboard Fram just like the PH9715

If you have an AutoZone nearby, many of them stock the PH9715, or at least they used to before I began ordering mine from Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back