Does running oversized tires endager tranny/axles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen it mentioned that running oversized tires (both because of diameter and weight) puts more stress on transmissions, axles...
Is there any truth to that? To me it would be just like driving the car somewhat harder.
With all the raised trucks running around, I imagine the issue would be settled.
I am thinking of running 205/70-R15 instead of 205/65-R15 in the Maxima in the future.

If the rubber fits, wear it

I would use those tires without hesitation.
Only issue may be getting a shop to mount them since it isn't the stock size

If they are larger in diameter and on the propulsion axle , the speedometer will probably be off a little .

Of course it does. Jeeps are usually good for about a 33 inch tire. When you start going bigger than that, its likely you will break something, especially off road.

If the truck is only used on the road, then huge tires are not likely to break anything, but they do cause extra wear on bearings, brakes, and other suspensions parts, especially if they use a different offset wheel from factory to fit the tires.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
I am thinking of running 205/70-R15 instead of 205/65-R15 in the Maxima in the future.

On a car, I would stick with the factory size unless you have a good reason not to. I doubt you'll be mounting some wide drag slicks to your Nissan.

yes. your new tires are 3% larger (circumference) and will theoretically throw off your speedometer by 3%. it will also (minimally) increase the load on your drivetrain and brakes. i can't imagine that small amount will make a practical difference. You could switch to a 195/70/15 - which is much closer to OE diameter (.2" difference instead of .8")

As a general rule on most cars one size up will be okay. I think in your situation it will be fine.
I went up a size on my Jeep and it actually corrected my Speedometer.

The rule of thumb used to be ( and I think still is ) that you can generally run up to a 3% increase in diameter without effecting the wheel electronics or overall stability of the car in most vehicles. Speedometers vary in that in some vehicles ( like mine ) a slightly larger tire actually corrects the speedometer...but at 3% I think you might be out of that range if it was applicable.

I would imagine the weight difference in the tires would depend on the tire but in relation to those two sizes would probably be within 1-2 pounds and not much of an issue.

That tire size difference won't stress anything significantly more. Running different wheel offsets can have effects on bearing life and even suspension performance but as long as you are close to the original offset it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the replies!
I wouldn't be changing the wheels/rims, so offset would stay stock.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Was that size ever stock on a Maxima? I'd probably run it either way. Not a big difference at all.

Thanks, 205/70-R15 was not an option on this generation. It was either 205/65-R15 or 215/60-R15 and later 215/55-R16.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
yes. your new tires are 3% larger (circumference) and will theoretically throw off your speedometer by 3%. it will also (minimally) increase the load on your drivetrain and brakes. i can't imagine that small amount will make a practical difference. You could switch to a 195/70/15 - which is much closer to OE diameter (.2" difference instead of .8")

Thanks, I am aware of the speedometer difference and not worried about it. Around here you don't typically choose your speed of travel, it is chosen by the ones in front of you. And with all the action going on, it is safer to watch the road/cars than the speedo. I would like tires in 195/70-R15 or 195/75-R15, but they are unicorns.

Apparently a common cause of problems on the Suzuki Vitara here, which is often fitted with oversize tyres for cosmetic reasons.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
I've seen it mentioned that running oversized tires (both because of diameter and weight) puts more stress on transmissions, axles...
Is there any truth to that? To me it would be just like driving the car somewhat harder.
With all the raised trucks running around, I imagine the issue would be settled.

I can see the weight having an effect, albeit a minor one.

I can't see how a larger diameter could hurt the hardware. It does have some potential benefits because everything that turns with the wheels will be turning at slower speeds.

What you want to avoid is different diameters on wheels that get power -- e.g. different front diameters with FWD, different rear diameters with RWD, or different diameters anywhere with AWD (unless it's how the car came from the factory). That goes double with a limited-slip or torque-biasing diff.

Beyond that, the only definite problem with a larger diameter wheel is a higher center of mass, which will hurt handling.

Normally I'd advise against a non-stock diameter because it'd mess with ABS and stability control, but your Maxima doesn't have stability control and its ABS isn't that sophisticated AFAIK.

I wouldn't use raised trucks as a point of comparison. They are not trouble-free. The fact that they exist doesn't mean they're a good example to follow.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Apparently a common cause of problems on the Suzuki Vitara here, which is often fitted with oversize tyres for cosmetic reasons.

What are the problems that result?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I wouldn't use raised trucks as a point of comparison. They are not trouble-free. The fact that they exist doesn't mean they're a good example to follow.

Thanks, I am not implying they are trouble free, I just mean the testing base is plentiful. I've seen some that couldn't even keep a straight line, and many have serious tracking issues.

It seems a popular trend to stuff the biggest wheels and tires possible into the wheel arches of cars and particularly trucks that will fit. I see little to be gained from this, any advantages from better grip will be largely negated by more unsprung weight. Also ride quality will suffer, and greater loads are put on the suspension and steering components.
But if it's what you want to do, hey!, it's a free country.

Claud.

Weights of Rim/Tire Setups increase a lot for example for my XJ

OE Size Firestone Destination LE P225/75R15 is 27 lbs
Firestone Destination MT 33" x 12.5 is 60 lbs

Not to mention likely heavier rim

Then look at the Diameter differences which is 14%

So not only is there more mass needing to spin the gear ratios get worse so that alone puts more load on every single drive line component.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Claud
It seems a popular trend to stuff the biggest wheels and tires possible into the wheel arches of cars and particularly trucks that will fit. I see little to be gained from this, any advantages from better grip will be largely negated by more unsprung weight. Also ride quality will suffer, and greater loads are put on the suspension and steering components.
But if it's what you want to do, hey!, it's a free country.

Claud.

Actually the main reason I'm considering 205/70 is to improve ride quality. I may be wrong, but the taller sidewall and increased load rating would allow for reduced PSI.
The second reason would be for increased pothole forgiveness.
3rd reason is to minimize (in my mind again) the vibrations caused by the current rims, which don't turn true (probably from potholes).

small changes mean little, but i always try to keep the same OD. i recently removed the worn out 265-70-16 OE tyres for 245-75-16, kigher profile but smaller size very close + their lighter weight + price is a plus

2010 Ford Ranger WHEELS AND TIRES
Base wheel and tire
2WD Ranger = 15-inch 7-spoke painted steel, P225/70Rx15

4WD Ranger = 16-inch cast aluminum, P255/70Rx16

Same rear axle from factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back