2017 Nissan Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I just helped my father-in-law purchase a used 2017 Frontier king cab 4x4 SV. 8500mi on it for $23600. A local dealership chain originally had about a dozen of these, which were apparently ~12mo/12K mile lease returns from Canada. I'm assuming this because all of them were 2017s, had under 12K miles on them and came from Canada.

The FIL has this very annoying unprecedented loyalty towards Nissan and I couldn't get him to look seriously at any other make/model. To his defense, he does have a few 2013 Frontiers at work with ~90K miles on them and they flog the heck out of these trucks on and off road. They have needed nothing but tires, brakes and maybe a serpentine belt. I've ridden in them and they are surprisingly tight and squeak/rattle free for the daily use they see. The interiors although simple, seems to be well designed and holds up well.

For those who appreciate technology these are definitely not the truck for you. These are a very dated truck, which IMO isn't a bad thing. They haven't changed since ~2005. 13 years!! That seems impossible in today's day and age. The 5spd automatic and VQ40DE have probably been around even longer.

For the same fuel economy, he could have gotten a full sized truck, but he wouldn't hear of it. I guess in the end, what other king cab, 4x4 2017, 8500mi truck are you going to get for that price.

IGjX5rP.jpg

Last edited:
I've been pretty happy with mine. Biggest downside has been fuel economy, but I guess I knew that going in. I like that its fairly tech free. My only wish is that i'd gone with the long bed model, of course that's not available in the trim I got.

I am driving that exact truck as a rental right now, and dated is right! I have to say, It is really growing on me and I actually like it. I was thinking it was perfect for the BITOG crowd! A physical key you have to turn, manual headlights, no thermometer, compass or MPG readout - I haven't seen a vehicle without those for years. The radio still has XM and iPod buttons! XM has been defunct for years and who still carries an iPod? The interior is probably the only thing that has cheaper plastic than a Diamler era Chrysler.

But - it drives nice and it is the perfect size. Power is great, handling is easy and predictable. The ride is firm but comfortable and the seat fabric is pretty nice. I would actually consider one if I could get a really good deal.

Smaller trucks have their advantages if that is all that is needed. MPG is not one of the advantages, but the smaller size can make for a better driving experience, depending on where you drive and how congested the roads and parking can be.

MY FIL traded his beloved Chevy Colorado reg cab, short bed 4x4 for a leftover 2017 Colorado ext cab short bed, and even THAT barely fit in the garage. He wound up moving shelves and his beer fridge so the new truck would fit. He was not amused.

It doesn't even happen have a backup camera, which I thought was mandatory from ~2015 on or so. I guess not! You're right about this being a BITOGer's truck. Super easy to do drain/fills on everything and the trans has a large fin/tube cooler ahead of the radiator. They do ride pretty nice and are pretty comfortable for 4 people or 3 kids in the back. FIL intends to pull a ~4000lb travel trailer with this truck.

He didn't want one in white, but by the time he was ready to bite, all they had left was 2 white ones.

Last edited:
Solid reliable truck I have several friends that have them and I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder based off that truck. The Frontier frame will hold up much better then a Toyota Tacoma in the rust belt. The V6 is solid and powerful but likes gas. I use my Pathfinder to tow my 5,000 pound camper and it does just fine.

The Frontier is basic but there is something to be said about that.

I've been singing the praises of the Nissan Frontier on multiple threads for a while. Our Frontier is my wife's DD and she absolutely loves it. She added a hard tonneau cover that really makes it functional in wet weather. A simple truck with a proven engine, 265 hp, rated for approximately 6000 lb towing capacity etc.. Still has just enough tech to make it functional and useful. When you can get one for around $28k for the SV model, it's a great deal for someone who needs a truck but doesn't plan on moving mountains with it.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
..When you can get one for around $28k for the SV model, it's a great deal for someone who needs a truck but doesn't plan on moving mountains with it.

I ran the #s every which way and the best I get them to with a new 2018, exact equipped truck was around ~$28600 with current incentives, etc. Buying this one was about a $5K savings.

Looks good! These are the most popular midsize pickup at my work and they are surprisingly low even with 4wd. Everyone likes theirs other than the gas consumption. The cab is a little more upright than the Tacoma as well, and at 6' I can sit in the back of a Frontier without slouching to keep my head off the roof. The 4wd mid size GM trucks seem to be nearly as jacked up as the fullsize trucks.

I'm pretty happy with my Frontier. Guess I have a loaded one, because it has a compass, thermometer, rear camera, Bluetooth, automatic hvac, etc.

I agree it is kind of a simple truck, but I like it. Gas mileage is the only downside- I get about 19 on the highway and 16 around town. The V6 is powerful and really scoots it along when needed.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
The Frontier frame will hold up much better then a Toyota Tacoma in the rust belt.

What are you basing that on? Nissans are some of the worst-rusting vehicles out there.

It does seem like this particular Nissan holds up well in the rust belt compared to other trucks in this segment.

I do think my FIL wants me to look into having Krown applied.

Also have to look into a hitch and brake controller for him..

We have a Frontier as one of the delivery vehicles at the auto parts store. Unreliable, outdated, and just overall a lousy truck. At least it's better than the Ranger we have
smirk.gif

that was a good buy!! i love my recently purchased 11 SV 4.0 manual 6spd under 28,xxx. mpg's are a little low but its a heavy sturdy truck + NO direct injection carbon issues. i don't like the TANKS aka trucks most buyers opt for, + find the better priced frontiers a nice size.

JTK,

It’s his money / decisions, so if he really likes Nissan then it’s good that he found a good deal on a low mile truck.

Personally I really like the looks of this smaller pick up truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back