Denso_150-2006e.jpg

Denso_150-2006f.jpg

Denso_150-2006g.jpg

Denso_150-2006h.jpg

Denso_150-2006i.jpg

Denso_150-2006j.jpg

Denso_150-2006k.jpg

Denso_150-2006l.jpg

Why do Japanese, Korean, Thailand, Chinese etc...made filters always have STRAIGHT pleats?...while so many domestic filters are all WAVY???

Don't want a model with misaligned or missing teeth.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
What does “straight” pleats do for us?
Tells us the media bundle wasn't buckled by excessive compressive stress, and didn't warp due to moisture.

I like the fact that some oil filter manufacturers put the plastic on the base plate. I'm sure this is done to keep the internal parts free from contaminants and the base plate rust free as well. I'm sure there is an extra charge for this plastic to be produced. Is it that much cost as to why the BIG filter makers can't do the same?
Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Tells us the media bundle wasn't buckled by excessive compressive stress, and didn't warp due to moisture.

On the buckling by excessive compressive force: I’ve seen this brought up a couple of times - Doesn’t the center tube support the compression? It doesn’t seem that the media should be under any compressive stress. Is there something I am missing?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I like the fact that some oil filter manufacturers put the plastic on the base plate. I'm sure this is done to keep the internal parts free from contaminants and the base plate rust free as well. I'm sure there is an extra charge for this plastic to be produced. Is it that much cost as to why the BIG filter makers can't do the same?
Thanks for the C&P.

I agree that it is a nice touch. The o-ring was pre oiled as well. One of these, I’m pretty sure it was this one, the plastic was cracked where it wrapped over the seam and wasn’t held very tight.

You’re welcome for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Great pics thanks!

Thank you and you’re welcome.

I’m still a bit puzzled by the hoopla on these, it appears to be nothing very special. If it was one of the majors like Fram, Purolator or Wix they’d be called on the carpet for not posting efficiency numbers (at least I can’t find any) , saying a black ADBV is silicone and using a picture of endcapless media in the literature.

This one BTW was a little over 6 bucks and fits 7317 applications.

Originally Posted By: CR94

On the buckling by excessive compressive force: I’ve seen this brought up a couple of times - Doesn’t the center tube support the compression? It doesn’t seem that the media should be under any compressive stress. Is there something I am missing?
Fair question. I'd suspect whether the axial (spring+hydraulic) force is carried mainly by the media or by a center tube (or shared) probably varies widely, depending on the filter design and manufacturing details. On most modern cartridge filters I've seen, and maybe some spin-ons (e.g., end-capless Densos? early e-cores?) there's effectively no center tube* lending support against that force. Whether the funky crooked pleats we see in photos on bitog are due to compressive buckling failure or to other causes, I can't tell. Both cartridge filters I've removed so far from my present car came out undistorted, with the pleats still straight.

*Cartridges do have what amounts to center tubes as part of the cap, to support the media against inward (radial) collapse, at least in theory. (But in SOME brands of filters, the inside of the media bundle is so far outside the center tube that it could partially collapse to a considerable extent before touching the center tube.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back