looking for a quality built come along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wire rope pullers are all pretty much junk. Get a chain lever hoist type. Beebe Bros. Or Harrington Hoist make a good product.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Wire rope pullers are all pretty much junk. Get a chain lever hoist type. Beebe Bros. Or Harrington Hoist make a good product.

Royal Engineers use a thing called a Tirfor jack.

Not noticably junk, but a new one probably won't be cheap either. Dunno if they are available in the US.

http://www.dealsan.co.uk/buy/tirfor

The HF, Haul Master 2ton come-along works, but not well. I last used it to put a strain on a 40' poplar so it would fall away from the shed. It was a struggle to get the rope high enough to get some leverage. The 1/2 rope I found washed up on the beach,was only 40' long. I added another 30 ' of chain to secure it to another tree. It worked and the tree fell right along the pull. It only cost 19.95. It is 1/2 of what my Dad paid for a cast US made puller 50 yrs ago. In the last yr or so the pawl snapped off.

The tirfor puller is a middle sized puller. We used them to stay the skirt bulkheads that held the gas spheres on the LNG tankers being built at the time. The LNGs were built in modules that were built out in the platen areas then transported to underneath bridge cranes capable of a combined lift of 225 tons. It was the duty of the 2nd shift to erect 3 modules a shift. Everything was held together with cables and turnbuckles of all sizes until the final fit was achieved and welded

I've had the same pair of cable pullers for over 30 years for all kinds of jobs from pulling engines, to tying down a stock car on a trailer. They are like miniature cable winches, but with limited travel. I've been shopping for awhile trying to figure out the best portable 12 volt cable winch that could be used anywhere for different tasks.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Harbor Freight and quality ?

They are not too bad..... as long as you don't over stress them.

I have a well used Chisholm Moore chain hoist that I use as a come along. I bought it at an estate sale for next to nothing and it lives an easy life now for occasional household/auto uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back