carrying long boards on a minivan

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2015 I had to replace the two 18' weight-bearing joists under our deck - they'd rotted out to where the deck was dangerous.

From 16' the available length jumped to 20', so two 20' 2x10s it was, which I cut down to 18'.

I put together the roof rack extension mostly from spare lumber I had on hand. Notches are cut so it drops over the factory roof rack. I thought it was required because the factory rack crossbars are so close together. The extension was held in place with tie-down straps that pass through the van's door openings.

To provide tie-down locations at the front, I removed a couple of fender-attachment bolts under the hood and reinstalled them to hold nylon straps w/ grommetted eye holes. These accommodated ratching tie-down straps.

At the back, a hitch-mounted bike rack provided a good extension for the tie-down straps.

The load felt stable for the 8 km or so trip home, and I saved a delivery fee of about $50. Might have been $75, can't remember now.

Obligatory: Note the containers of used motor oil @ the RHS, ready to be taken for recycling.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I haven't seen an MPV here in forever.

The Gen 1 MPVs ('89 - '98) are getting scarce here. If they were still sold new, I'd buy one in a flash. We passed this one on to Jr and his family - that way I still get to work on it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Around here a longboard on a minivan looks like this

SX14110%20Popup%20up%20with%20big%20yellow%20surfboard%20on%20roofrack.jpg

That's what thought we were talking about!

Wow, that's gorgeous! Would you consider a trade?
smile.gif

Probably you could have got them home a bit easier but now you have a serious roof rack setup that can carry all sorts of flimsy stuff. I should take pictures of the stuff I carry on the racks of our cars. 2 full size skids on the Focus was actually quite a pain to tie down as they are wider than the racks. A twin mattress was easy with a couple boards on top to stiffen it.

I've used rope and tied it the passenger side hood hinge and passenger side trunk hinge. Then looped it around what you are hauling. Carried 21' pieces of pipe home like this. I use some padding wrapped around the object so as not to harm the paint.

Tom, that is what immediately came to my mind

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I've used rope and tied it the passenger side hood hinge and passenger side trunk hinge. Then looped it around what you are hauling. Carried 21' pieces of pipe home like this. I use some padding wrapped around the object so as not to harm the paint.

I have tied a 21' piece of pipe under a vehicle .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back