carrying four bikes w/ a Class 1 hitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Thule bike-rack literature says to not carry four bikes when the carrier is used with a Class I receiver. My work-around was to reduce the sway and tongue weight by using ratcheting straps. The Mazda 5 doesn't have a roof rack, so I installed a couple of nylon straps w/ eyes to attach the ratcheting tie-down strap to. The other end of each eye strap is bolted to the top attachment point for each rear hatch strut. Foam pipe insulation protects the paint on the hatch from the straps.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Can a vehicle behind you see your tail and brake lights?

It's not perfect, they're somewhat obscured, but that's an issue with any hitch-mounted bike rack. I use the red LED lights on the bikes as running lights when traveling when it's dark. The turn-signals are amber and show up well.

It's very solid with the strap on. No negative feedback from the authorities so far, and we've been using hitch-mounted bike racks for years and years. This particular round trip in 2013 was about 4000 km with no problems. I could install a roof rack and move two bikes up to the roof, but that really kills the highway mileage, and one has to remember not to drive into the garage with the bikes on!

Not sure what the law is there, but you should probably have a red (or other bright color) flag on the end. Most places require a flag for a load that extends a certain distance past the end of the vehicle.

I don't think it's the law here (as no-one does) but it's a great idea. I'll do this in future. Thanks for the idea!

Originally Posted By: Number_35
My work-around was to reduce the sway and tongue weight by using ratcheting straps.

That is a fantastic idea

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Number_35
My work-around was to reduce the sway and tongue weight by using ratcheting straps.

That is a fantastic idea
Thanks! I use it with the Kia too, even though it has a Class III hitch - it still takes the stress off the rack.

I ran that rack on a class I hitch on my wife's old HHR. Worked fine. Worst issue was the compromised approach angles. I used bungee cords to tangle all the bikes together. The ensemble swayed around a bit but I never lost a thing.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I ran that rack on a class I hitch on my wife's old HHR. Worked fine. Worst issue was the compromised approach angles. I used bungee cords to tangle all the bikes together. The ensemble swayed around a bit but I never lost a thing.
01.gif

Amen to the compromised approach angle! As well, I tend to try to park so I can drive out forward. That sometimes means backing into the spot, and I try to keep in mind how long that load is. I use lots of bungees as well.

The Thule manual said not to run four bikes (on their 4-bike carrier) with a Class I hitch, so figured a mod was in order, and that stressing the hitch, not the rack, was their concern.

As well, a friend had a Class I hitch fail on a Ford Fusion, so I was not willing to chance it.

These were not particularly heavy bikes though - two cyclocross bikes, one mountain bike, and a hybrid. I tried to load the bikes by weight, with the heaviest farthest inboard, and the lightest at the back.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Not sure what the law is there, but you should probably have a red (or other bright color) flag on the end. Most places require a flag for a load that extends a certain distance past the end of the vehicle.
4 ft past the rear of the car here.

I have a harbor freight bike rack that I put some nicer cradles on. I've had 4 bikes on it. It's just 1-1/4 and rated for 2 bikes. I ran a ratchet strap through the trunk of the car and tightened it against the spare tire which was bolted to the floor. Worked awesome!

I have the swagman dispatch2, but I believe they make four bike versions too.

The frame bolts into the hitch and there’s no play whatsoever. The only downside is the weight.

I’d be budgeting for new rear struts. Years ago, I overtaxed the rear suspension on our 1st-gen Odyssey hauling 4 bikes like that. Just because you can Rube Goldberg various bits together to make something work for awhile, doesn’t mean it’s a solution that won’t roach more critical hardware prematurely.

Originally Posted By: khittner
I’d be budgeting for new rear struts. Years ago, I overtaxed the rear suspension on our 1st-gen Odyssey hauling 4 bikes like that. Just because you can Rube Goldberg various bits together to make something work for awhile, doesn’t mean it’s a solution that won’t roach more critical hardware prematurely.

Coincidence isn't causation... I agree that weight hanging out there has more effect on the rear suspension but not as much as the 7 passengers the van was designed for.

I have the Thule T2 for a class 3 hitch and the 4 bike option. I drive around with that rack on my truck in two bike mode 365 days a year. It totally obscures the license plate. No cop has ever given me a hard time about it. When I add the extension for four bikes, it makes it long. Thankfully, my truck has big tail lights and a big third brake light. Never had any close calls.

I know for a fact it kept me from getting a ticket on the Florida Turnpike when I accidentally used the Sunpass lane and I did not have Sunpass. Camera never saw my plate.

Another trip, I got pulled over for speeding in NC and I was SURE the trooper was going to give me a hard time about the rack but he didn't even mention it.

One of my friends did exactly like the OP with his class one T2. Works fine. We also have lighter, high end bikes. Not Wal Mart tanks.

The rack is designed and built to accommodate four bikes, so the only issue is overloading the Class I hitch. Per Thule (the bike rack manufacturer), three bikes on this rack are OK on a Class I hitch, but four aren't.

Therefore, my solution was to take some of the load off the hitch.

It's worked fine - I don't think there's a problem. When carrying four people, there's not enough room to carry a bike inside. The alternative would be to install a rook rack and carry one or two bikes up top, but that has disadvantages as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back