Valvoline Modern Engine oil has been downgraded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone recall what the NOACK was at before?

Wonder if there is any way to tell which is which once the sales start, maybe date codes.

How do you know this is due to cost cutting? The specs are still within the requirements for d1G2. While Noack is important it is only one aspect of the oil.

"**obsolete" means that spec is obsolete not the sheet.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Wemay, I think Valvoline is updating their PDS across the line. Notice that it states “Obsolete” at the bottom of the one you posted.

... Wemay, I think Valvoline is updating their PDS across the line. Notice that it states “Obsolete” at the bottom of the one you posted.
That footnote only means that certain GM specifications are obsolete, not that the PDS is obsolete.

Ah, I see. The other PDS shows a date effective at the bottom. This one didn’t.

I have noticed in the past few months that Valvoline has been updating a few times.

Originally Posted By: wemay
PimTac, i belive the date is at the top left...

Yep I see that. On the op link you will also see the effective date and authors initials at the bottom.

This system Valvoline uses is pretty bad.

EDIT; I just noticed the current PDS for VAS is two pages. My fault. The effective date is Feb 20, this year.

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

The only numbers I have seen for the Modern Engine oil are those at the link in the original post. What were the "better" numbers before this supposed change?

Originally Posted By: ozric
The only numbers I have seen for the Modern Engine oil are those at the link in the original post. What were the "better" numbers before this supposed change?

Yeah, I was seeing the same thing. Is the OP confusing Advanced with Modern Engine?? I have no idea what the downgrade consists of if the spec sheets I've seen are the same ones.

How do you know this is due to cost cutting? The specs are still within the requirements for d1G2. While Noack is important it is only one aspect of the oil.

An oil as expensive as Modern Engine should do more than “meet d1g2.” It should have excellent specs across the board, including NOACK, which is very important for piston deposits and GDI valve deposits. Some extremely cheap oils out there meet d1g2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

An oil as expensive as Modern Engine should do more than “meet d1g2.” It should have excellent specs across the board, including NOACK, which is very important for piston deposits and GDI valve deposits. Some extremely cheap oils out there meet d1g2.

Understood. It’s been discussed over in the other thread. Valvoline’s marketing is just head scratching when it comes to VME.

But why does Dexos make it such a big deal? That only applies to GM engines, not the dozens upon dozens of other engine manufacturers out there.

Originally Posted By: jongies3

But why does Dexos make it such a big deal? That only applies to GM engines, not the dozens upon dozens of other engine manufacturers out there.

Anyone who owns a TGDI or a GDI engine should be using the newer spec oils to reduce the possibility of LSPI.

(Way too many abbreviations)

Originally Posted By: RubentheIowan
So is the Valvoline Advance Synthetic a better buy? Ive noticed too that at vatozone its like 15$ cheaper than Mod. eng.

Imo, yes it’s a better value. I don’t think the benefit, if any is worth the extra money. I would say the same for M1 EP vs AP.

The new VAS has a good add pack and decent specs. It can be had for just under $22 at Wally’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back