Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
My aunt just bought it, 2016 year model with 31k miles. Factory spec is 0W20, any reason not to run 0W30 or 5W30 in this engine or any harm that could come from it? Im adverse to using 20 wt oils during oil changes unless the owner specifies it. No need to ask why thats just my preference.

Last edited:
VVT may not operate in ideal zone for low end torque. Try it and see how she runs. I use a 10w30 in the spring but usually add a 1/2 qt of 5w20 to put the VVT in its sweeet spot. You'll know if its too thick the initial torque will be sluggish. But give the oil 200 miles to initially thin.

I never met a large 4 banger that liked 20 grade oil.

I thought most VVT systems operated on the lower-profile cam when cold, and at low RPM and load. The hydraulically-actuated cam profile is only shifted to when conditions are met to do so.

I believe Subaru’s AVCS is more dynamic, but doesn’t appear to be so sensitive to viscosity as some here say. I’m not sure if other VVT systems are affected, but I can’t imagine a 0W-20 at 210F will result in much different action of the VVT than 5W-30 at 150F.

I'm not suggesting you go non-OEM, but I have yet to have one of my 0w20 or 5w20 recommended vehicles have any negative effect from 5w30. I seriously doubt there's a mainstream vehicle out there that would.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I thought most VVT systems operated on the lower-profile cam when cold, and at low RPM and load. The hydraulically-actuated cam profile is only shifted to when conditions are met to do so.

I believe Subaru’s AVCS is more dynamic, but doesn’t appear to be so sensitive to viscosity as some here say. I’m not sure if other VVT systems are affected, but I can’t imagine a 0W-20 at 210F will result in much different action of the VVT than 5W-30 at 150F.
I liked our old 2.5Ej with the stick. That had a "Honda VTEC" like variable lift. It idles one valve then it locked in the high lift high duration profile at about 4000 rpm. Really good high RPM power - maybe even too much for the chassis and trans to handle. The EJ non turbo never had variable valve timing ( hydraulic cam advance and retard) The new FB25 and 20 does.
My 2015 Honda fit 5M with a full VTEC SOHC was not viscosity sensitive.
The Nissan QR25DE with VVTi absolutely is.

Last edited:
From WIKI: I used to enjoy reading this stuff in the monthly Subaru Periodicals
smile.gif

The I-Active Valve Lift System (i stands for intelligence) or i-AVLS is a valvetrain technology implemented by Subaru in the 2.5L naturally aspirated engines SOHC to improve emissions, efficiency and performance. Note that AVLS is different from AVCS used on other Subaru engines. AVLS improves performance and efficiency by changing which camshaft is operating which of the two intake valves. The camshafts on all AVLS Subaru engines have specially designed lobes for intake valves. They feature two different cam profiles: a low/mid lift profile or a high lift profile. The two intake valves in each cylinder are operated by a rocker arm with its own cam lobe. The cam utilized is selected by the Engine Control Unit (ECU). To select different valve lift modes, oil pressure generated by the engine moves a pin which locks the two lobes together. At low engine speeds the low/mid lift camshafts increases the speed of air rushing into the engine thereby increasing torque and efficiency. At higher engine speeds the high lift camshafts fully open the intake valves, reducing resistance to incoming air and improving power. AVLS only operates one of the intake valves in each cylinder as the other is always open to promote swir

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Run what you want. Your fear of 20wt has already made that decision for you.

Try the 0w30.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
smile.gif

The I-Active Valve Lift System (i stands for intelligence) or i-AVLS is a valvetrain technology implemented by Subaru in the 2.5L naturally aspirated engines SOHC to improve emissions, efficiency and performance. Note that AVLS is different from AVCS used on other Subaru engines. AVLS improves performance and efficiency by changing which camshaft is operating which of the two intake valves. The camshafts on all AVLS Subaru engines have specially designed lobes for intake valves. They feature two different cam profiles: a low/mid lift profile or a high lift profile. The two intake valves in each cylinder are operated by a rocker arm with its own cam lobe. The cam utilized is selected by the Engine Control Unit (ECU). To select different valve lift modes, oil pressure generated by the engine moves a pin which locks the two lobes together. At low engine speeds the low/mid lift camshafts increases the speed of air rushing into the engine thereby increasing torque and efficiency. At higher engine speeds the high lift camshafts fully open the intake valves, reducing resistance to incoming air and improving power. AVLS only operates one of the intake valves in each cylinder as the other is always open to promote swir

The op is inquiring about a Mitsubishi 2.4 engine.

smile.gif

Context, my good man. If you look for it, it's there...

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
smile.gif

Context, my good man. If you look for it, it's there...

I understand. This engine and the Mivec system have been around for a long time. Lots of data on it.

Mitsubishi NZ supply their own oil, it's 5W-30...packaged by Castrol, and Castrol recommend 5W-30 Edge for the Outlander.

smile.gif

Responding to another post in the thread about VVT vs. VTEC. VVT is oil viscosity sensitive. VTEC no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back