06 Mustang with the 2 piece spark plugs ugggg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the Motorcraft 2 piece plugs....then somebody told me to use Brisk plugs one piece unit. The Brisk plugs are 40 bucks more than Fords
but are they worth the extra money do they last longer than 30k miles?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The latest update Motorcraft plugs are 1 piece, SP-547.

bd whats the retail on those? Are they a platinum?

Edit: Is the never seize still recommended?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
No, just use a little never seize and don't wrench the arse off them. Ford had a TSB about using it on these plugs.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_tsb_08-7-6.pdf

Good Grief!

I started to count the special tools and chemicals but I rapidly ran out of fingers.

To remove spark plugs?!

Hilarious.(if you don't have to do it, of course.)

MSRP is $17.42. The box says "Finewire Platnium." They still recommend following the TSB for removal and installation.

Best way to get those plugs out in one piece is to drive the [censored] out of it to get them hot, then pull the coil and hit the plugs with an impact.

Scariest thing I've done on a vehicle, it goes against everything we're taught about plugs, but that was right from a Ford tech's mouth and by God does it work. Not every time, but almost.

Ford has always had issues with spark plugs. Remember when they had a TSB about plugs shooting out of their Triton V8's. How hard can it be? Pretty soon you'll have to pull the motor and heads to change plugs.

MSRP is $17.42. The box says "Finewire Platnium." They still recommend following the TSB for removal and installation.

Ouch! That's painful. Are these the same weird plugs with the solid U ground and 2 piece that can break upon removal? I'm grateful all 3 of my Ford vehicles have "normal" spark plugs. Even if 2 of them need sooner spark plug changes at least they are 4 cylinders and easy to do. Plus the Motorcraft spark plugs are very reasonable.

Whimsey

One piece platinum plugs with never seize, got it. Thanks db

Bosch now makes iridium plugs for that engine. They are made in Germany. Iridium is usually good for 100k. Part number 96322

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Bosch now makes iridium plugs for that engine. They are made in Germany. Iridium is usually good for 100k. Part number 96322

The problem with leaving the plugs in for that long is carbon build-up on the interference fit portion of the spark plug. That is what causes them to break upon removal.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The problem with leaving the plugs in for that long is carbon build-up on the interference fit portion of the spark plug. That is what causes them to break upon removal.

Which is the reason for the antiseize on the barrel of the plug.

Originally Posted By: Gimpy1
Ford has always had issues with spark plugs. Remember when they had a TSB about plugs shooting out of their Triton V8's. How hard can it be? Pretty soon you'll have to pull the motor and heads to change plugs.

I know somebody that happened to....was it like 2002 models?
the plug came out and dented his hood....the dealer tried to make ut that it was something he did.
It was the plugs from the factory too.....

Just another aftermarket vendor, go with one the numbers posted and you will be fine, I like OE but I have been using the new Bosch OE iridiums foe a while now and have to say they are impressive, I really like them.

Ford had plug blow out problems before 2002 and on ford Kent engines they seized in there so tight after just a couple of years you couldn't get them out and had to remove the head many times to drill them out.

When you bought a new Ford with a Kent engine pulling the plugs right away and putting never seize on them prevented it.
In the salt belt Never seize is a must in every mechanics tool box.

Maybe because its a different design you can get the MOTORCRAFT SP547 from Rock for 10 bucks ea or ask at the dealer, it might be cheaper without the shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back