Putting a Toyota filter on a Ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a stupid question. But I'll ask anyway. I own a 2002 Toyota Tacoma and have a bunch of 90915-YZZD1 Toyota OEM filters at home. This cross reference to the Fram 3614. We are possibly going to buy my son a Ford Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost and in looking at it I noticed that it takes a Motorcraft FL-910S, which ALSO cross references to a Fram 3614.

Stupid question: since I have a bunch of Toyota filters, is it safe to assume that I can use them on the Ford with no issues? I was planning to just buy Motorcraft filters...I usually tend to buy OEM...but since it looks like these two totally different vehicles cross-reference to the same filter I thought it might be worth using what I have. It is going to be a very nice used car with a turbo engine. Any downside to running the Toyota filter? Motorcraft filters are $4 at Walmart, so price/convenience isn't really an issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Go for it.

I do somewhat the inverse and use (Walmart clearance) TG8316 filters intended for Ford Zetec engines on my Lexus, which also calls for the 3614.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Its not as efficient as the MC, but it flows good. Sure, its fine.

Motorcraft oil filters have suffered from the infamous Purolator tearing problems, so avoiding MC oil filters is a good idea.
Sure the Toy filters are not as efficient as say a Fram Ultra or Fram ToughGuard, but the Toy filters are good enough. Use them.
Next time a Fram Ultra is really best for that application.

I put a Ford filter on my Toyota...

It's a free country
laugh.gif

I always considered using the Toyota 90915-YZZD3 filters on my Ranger, which crosses to the Motorcraft FL400S. I dont see why it would be a problem

Last edited:
I've used numerous Ford FL-910S filters on Toyota and Lexus engines and likewise used Toyota filters on Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles. No harm no foul, would be a good way to use them up if you'll no longer have a use for them.

It's a good idea, the Toyota has more media and so far no defects have been found. No extra glue inside, clean, no louvers, etc.

I have a GTR-spec (Synthetic Champ Labs) M1 EP filter on my Rogue, used to run a S2000 Honda on there.

Both MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Nissan service parts.

Last edited:
I have a FULL brand filter that crosses to the 90915 YZZD3, even aftermarket toyota filters should be an ok substitute for the FL400S, right? As in, can I run the FULL filter on my Ranger?

Same here for the Matrix at the Ford Quicklane. Now they use Omnicraft filters instead of MC filters which is a line designed for other makes.

I use the FL400S/FL910S on the two Toyota V6/V8s I change oil on. No worries.

Now if Motorcraft had a PH4386/4967-sized filter.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Its not as efficient as the MC, but it flows good. Sure, its fine.

Motorcraft oil filters have suffered from the infamous Purolator tearing problems, so avoiding MC oil filters is a good idea.
Sure the Toy filters are not as efficient as say a Fram Ultra or Fram ToughGuard, but the Toy filters are good enough. Use them.
Next time a Fram Ultra is really best for that application.

I have no fear of the FL-400S filter. When I'm not using a synthetic type filter, the FL-400S is my go to filter.
Just out of curiosity, by me using the FL-400S filter, will my engine blow up? Fall out? Come haunt me in the middle of the night? I hope when I check my oil the engines hoses don't start whipping me!
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
13.gif

Any filter that crosses over to many other filters means they are all compatible filters that can be used on the same vehicle.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Any filter that crosses over to many other filters means they are all compatible filters that can be used on the same vehicle.

Thanks. That's basically what I was getting at. I mean, I guess it has to be within certain parameters, right? I just didn't want to make assumptions that just because they both cross referenced with the same aftermarket filter that they were equivalent. I guess they probably are though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back