Interesting experience at HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I visited HF this evening to look for some sort of low profile fastener remover.

As I got there, a friendly looking older gentleman was walking down the sidewalk from a tax prep service, who (to me) rudely asked an employee who was outside sweeping if the store was still open. No big deal as lots of folks seem rude, but mean absolutely nothing by it. When I was walking around, I seemed to always be where he wanted to be; the socket section. Once again not big deal as that's really the first area you come to. Not finding what I was looking for, I meandered to the opposite side where there was another older gentleman pushing his wife in a wheelchair. Knowing they weren't breaking any land speed records, they insisted I go first, but I said no big deal and laughed about how I had no idea what I wanted.

Old gentleman #1 looked at me and said "This place is not an amusement park."

I really had no idea what to say so I just said nothing. I ran into him a few more times throughout the store (and continued to be in his way) before he said a few non BITOG approved words and stormed out.

I do feel sorry for the guy be it a mental illness, negative mindset, or just plain loneliness.

For those curious, the manager talked me into this. Looks like a rebadged GearWrench something. Made in Taiwan.
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-38-in-drive-long-reach-dual-flex-head-ratchet-67994.html

Last edited:
dementia, it happens

once I was in a pizza store, some old guy didn't like the way I looked and made motions like he was going to come after me, fortunately the help / family restrained him and told him to calm down, strange incident, maybe I reminded him of someone from his past, he seemed like a aged tough guy type

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I really had no idea what to say so I just said nothing. I ran into him a few more times throughout the store (and continued to be in his way) before he said a few non BITOG approved words and stormed out.

I do feel sorry for the guy be it a mental illness, negative mindset, or just plain loneliness.

You might have saved his life that day by preventing him from buying a floor jack and using it without jack stands. You'd be surprised by how something as little as being in somebody's way can either stop a chain of events or start a chain of events and setting them into motion.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko

You might have saved his life that day by preventing him from buying a floor jack and using it without jack stands. You'd be surprised by how something as little as being in somebody's way can either stop a chain of events or start a chain of events and setting them into motion.

"You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from." - Cormac McCarthy

Lots of these folks.................across ALL AGES!!

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
"You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from." - Cormac McCarthy

"Somewhere in the gray wood by the river is the huntsman and in the brooming corn and in the castellated press of cities. His work lies all wheres and his hounds tire not. I have seen them in a dream, slaverous and wild and their eyes crazed with ravening for souls in this world. Fly them."

One good Cormac McCarthy quote deserves another...although mine is probably apropos of nothing.

OPer, maybe the old coot thought you parked too close to his car and was determined to get you back.
Good on you for not engaging him.

Should've told him either:

"This isn't a funeral home, why are you here?"
or
"This isn't a mental hospital, why are you here?"

I'd have loved to shoot back with one of those.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

"Somewhere in the gray wood by the river is the huntsman and in the brooming corn and in the castellated press of cities. His work lies all wheres and his hounds tire not. I have seen them in a dream, slaverous and wild and their eyes crazed with ravening for souls in this world. Fly them."

One good Cormac McCarthy quote deserves another...although mine is probably apropos of nothing.

OPer, maybe the old coot thought you parked too close to his car and was determined to get you back.
Good on you for not engaging him.

Definitely not. Regardless of what I drive, I park away from everyone. Like edge of the parking lot, walking 5x more than everyone else away.

I met up with him at the door.. that was my first interaction with him.

What I don't like is when people are riding in the electric shopping carts. often they seem to think the rest of us need to get out of their way or they don't care how slow they go.

Yeah, it can be interesting at HFT.

Dunno how many times I've seen an eldery gent walk in and right up to the cashier with the freeby coupon in hand, only to be told you have to make a purchase and go find the free item yourself. Sometimes they hand stuff out right from the register area, but it's rare.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: callbay
What I don't like is when people are riding in the electric shopping carts. often they seem to think the rest of us need to get out of their way or they don't care how slow they go.

My local Walmart is basically a bumper car track with those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back