trans fluid change 2013 equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
52,000 miles and it came out black didn't smell all that good. Going to change it again in couple weeks,only drained 4 1/2 quarts. Just wonder what other people experience were.

good move! prolly same as girlfriends 13 malibu 6 spd auto. being heavier prolly more wear on it. i used the cheap Tech fluid from wally's with the correct GM spec + walmart price!!!

Last edited:
Fitter- you did good. What you saw is what I've seen on every first time drain/fill I've ever done. Subsequent owners better be appreciative!

Originally Posted By: Fitter30
Just wonder what other people experience were.

Stop at this site and you will get a whole host on info on the equinox.
http://www.equinoxforum.net

Yes, we have similar experiences.
Good idea to do 2 or 3 drain and fills in succession to get most of it changed out.

Is your transmission oil cooler return line from the radiator easily accessible from under the hood? if so, exchange fluid that way. Its less work, more efficient. Drain and filling 4 qts at the pan is approx 1/3 of the total. So its never really clean, always blended with old.

I drain every 20-30,000 always looks and smells good. Reason for the short drain interval is the ford 5r55s has known issue's. So far at 71,000 miles trans works great. Heck my mind set is still back in the 60's

Last week I did the first ATF change on a friends' 2014 Equinox with 63K miles. It was starting to shift rather harshly, and the fluid was quite black and smelled a bit oxidized. Performed a double drain & refill with Amsoil Fuel Efficient Signature Series; the owner reports the upshifts and downshifts are dramatically smoother. He's delighted with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back