New to Cartridge Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Just bought a new 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen. This is my first time using cartridge filters and it's harder getting information on efficiency. Between the Fram CH11784, Purolator L28161, and Napa/Wix 100024, which would have the higher efficiency? These seem to be the only readily available options.

When I had a VW I would buy filters online. Buy a case if you want to cut costs. World Impex was one place I used to go to, but I'm sure it has changed. Heck Ebay and Amazon might have good deals.

Originally Posted By: CARJ
Mann and OEM are easily available as well.

Ditto. The cars in my signature are VAG AKA VW Audi Group and they take the same oil filter. The Mann oil filter at Advanced Auto is over $14 for one while the OEM Mann made oil filter at my dealer is $12.15 and the parts department already has a crush gasket for the drain plug in the box assuming the oil filter will most likely be used for the dealer lube monkey. Very nice ride and I think the 1.8L engine holds something crazy like 6.75 quarts?

Also of note: ECS Tuning has lots of OEM and Euro aftermarket replacement parts and accessories for cheap.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I had been looking @@ at a Toyota Highlander Whoops Cartridge Filters deal killer!

Your loss. Cartridges are so simple.

Anything other than OEM or OES is a gamble, but I haven't personally had any trouble from any cartridge.

You have the 1.8T, right?

Mann and Mahle are available on Rock Auto at a good price
smile.gif

OP asked about filter efficiency info, not the cheapest place to buy them.

I'll add a question, is the media used in say a NAPA Gold cartridge the same or different as used in a NAPA Gold spin-on?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
OP asked about filter efficiency info, not the cheapest place to buy them.

Most aftermarket cartridge filters are poorly designed and/or poorly manufactured, and often don't even fit properly. Plus, a Fram/Purolator/Wix cartridge often costs more than a higher quality OEM Mann/Mahle/Hengst. Even the American companies usually use Hengst as the OE supplier for their cartridges (GM's Ecotecs, Chrysler's Pentastar, etc)

Quote:
I'll add a question, is the media used in say a NAPA Gold cartridge the same or different as used in a NAPA Gold spin-on?

Wix probably uses the same media in their cartridges as their spin-ons, so the same should hold for Napa Gold. I know that WIx uses the same media for both XP spin-ons and spin-on cartridges

[off-topic]
Congrats!
This replaced your Ford Focus Wagon?

Wagons Forever?
[/off-topic]

I'm too new to my GSW, so I cannot say much, but thank you all who posted, I will use the info.

German made Mann all the way (some are made in Mexico). I wouldn’t gamble with anything else (other than OEM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back