15 escape tranny mtc question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 Ford Escape with a tranny that has sealed for life tranny. Life being 240,000 km according to ford. I have a ford extended warrantee to 200,000 km. With the amount I drive the warrantee will outlast the payments. Then I will trade it. Should I bother to do flush’s and such or leave it? I’m torn.

Sparky:
I have a 2016 Escape with the same 6F35 A/T.....I did a D&R (no flush) of the FF at 16K and I highly recommend it.
I drained it COLD and measured what came out and refilled it with Castrol Dexron VI which I got on CLEARANCE from AZ...it took only 4.25 qts. to refill so I plan on doing it every 25K going forward. The ATF darkens quickly in this AT which may or may not mean anything but changing it is easy and it's cheap insurance.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If the plan is to trade it in after it's paid off, then I would not bother.

As much as it kills me I have to agree with KrisZ. Only because I keep my vehicles a long time and maintain them. If you are going to trade the Escape in when it's paid for and the warranty will still be good Ford will have to pay for the new transmission since their ATF fluid change recommendation is 240,000 KM (150,000 mi). That's if it goes bad within the 200,000 KM and time of the warranty period. Since your's is AWD chances are your PTU unit with the "lifetime fill" will fail long before your warranty expires. Out of curiosity did you get the Ford warranty that does cover those failures. Ford has different level coverages for extended warranties.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: dogememe
a 6f35 will not go 240k on one fluid lol

We know that but Ford says it's ATF fluid is good till 150,000 mi or 240,000 KM. If he has a Ford warranty that will cover transmission failure during his ownership period of 200,000 KM then Ford is responsible to pay for the warranty repair if it happens then, I think. I buy my vehicles new and keep them a LONG time so I maintain them. It's frightening now a days to buy a used vehicle without the maintenance log.

Whimsey

Thanks all. I bought the second level of warranty , the basecare package.
I worry that drivability will suffer if I don’t service it and that won’t qualify for a warranty fix.

If I were you I'd read the warranty very carefully. Do they mention "severe service"? Going to the grocery store could qualify as severe service if they wanted it to. That is typically half the recommended life of normal service. Starting in 2013 certain years Escape's had odd ball tranny issues. Changing the ATF in that vehicle is pretty darn straight forward and there is a lot of info on-line about it. I think it takes about 4-4.5 qts.and be sure to check the level hot. If concerned about warranty issues use Motorcraft LV and keep the receipts. Fluid will look very dark when it comes out. If it were mine I'd changed it every 30K miles/48K km.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back