KENDALL GT1 DEXOS vs VALVOLINE ADVANCED FULL SYN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
Need help on the following:

KENDALL GT1 DEXOS 5w-30 Full Synthetic versus the Valvoline Advanced Synthetic (Formerly SynPower) 5w-30. Which would you guys recommend being a better application for my Ford Turbo 1.6L GDI? The Kendall is $48 for 12 quarts and the Valvoline for 1 Gal for $26 bucks. Really want a dexos 1 gen 2 oil.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yup, also open for other oils in that weight that are equal in quality that may be a better application - Dexos 1 Gen 2.

Sounds like Kendall more affordable to me. Think it has moly and titanium in it. How many quarts for oil change? I like singles over 4/5 myself. Check recent voa to see how they kinda look.

4.3 Quarts - I couldn't find a VOA for the Kendall GT-1 Dexos? On the Kendall website there doesn't appear to be any Titanium additive in the dexos formula, which is different from the GT-1 Max Liquid Titanium.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Your engine won’t know the difference.

BITOG Blasphemy!

Originally Posted By: adubg
4.3 Quarts - I couldn't find a VOA for the Kendall GT-1 Dexos? On the Kendall website there doesn't appear to be any Titanium additive in the dexos formula, which is different from the GT-1 Max Liquid Titanium.

Ti ash content is too high for Dexos certification.

The Kendall d1G2 oil is a little lower in sulfated ash than the Valvoline going by their PDS, 0.9% to 0.97%.
Kendall is a little thicker at 100C (11 to 10.2 cSt), but they have the same HTHS (3.2 cP).
Valvoline has a slightly high TBN at 9.3 compared to 8.7, so one might argue that it be used for a somewhat longer OCI.
Valvoline is kind enough to share the NOACK loss at 9.3%, which is pretty good (slightly better than the number I used to see for M1 5W30), but Kendall doesn't post that so all we really know is that it is under 13% as a d1G2 oil.
It's possible that the Kendall 5W30 might be a little bet better for cold starts as its CCS viscosity at -30C is given as 5000 cP while the Valvoline just says less than 6000.

I ended up buying a jug of the Valvoline FS 5W30 a few days ago because it was d1G2 and I liked the NOACK result, but Kendall was not an option for me at my local WM. Wasn't crazy about the higher SA, but I figure it should be OK as it passed the d1G2 turbo deposit test. I probably wouldn't buy it for winter use and am planning to try M1 0W30 AFE for that purpose later this year as I believe it is still the only d1G2 0W30.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I ended up buying a jug of the Valvoline FS 5W30 a few days ago because it was d1G2 and I liked the NOACK result, but Kendall was not an option for me at my local WM. Wasn't crazy about the higher SA, but I figure it should be OK as it passed the d1G2 turbo deposit test.

What higher SA?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...os1#Post4682481

Hi Guys,
Need help on the following:

KENDALL GT1 DEXOS 5w-30 Full Synthetic versus the Valvoline Advanced Synthetic (Formerly SynPower) 5w-30. Which would you guys recommend being a better application for my Ford Turbo 1.6L GDI? The Kendall is $48 for 12 quarts and the Valvoline for 1 Gal for $26 bucks. Really want a dexos 1 gen 2 oil.

Thanks!

I'm interested to know from where you are buying your oil? I've looked at both of these products myself and my situation is the total opposite from yours. I can buy Valvoline Advanced Syn 5 quart jug at Walmart for just under $22 or $4.40/quart. I have to purchase Kendall Syn Dexos 1 from a distributor (PSC) at $49 for a case of 12 plus $21 for shipping. Total of $70 or $5.80/quart. The Valvoline is the clear choice for me.

Originally Posted By: smithph
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I ended up buying a jug of the Valvoline FS 5W30 a few days ago because it was d1G2 and I liked the NOACK result, but Kendall was not an option for me at my local WM. Wasn't crazy about the higher SA, but I figure it should be OK as it passed the d1G2 turbo deposit test.

What higher SA?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...os1#Post4682481

I guess I should have said what it was higher than...for example, Valvoline 5W30 FS is 0.97% SA by its PDS, M1 5W30 is 0.8%. It might be all FUD, but there is some worry about increased deposits in DIT engines with a higher ash level. I got past that and am trying the Valvoline.
Amsoil says their 5W30 SS oil that is LSPI resistant is not d1G2 because of high ash, but it passed the turbo deposit test just fine. Might talk myself into trying it someday.

I found the Kendall distributor by using the following link from their website. I then called around to find the lowest prices / most convenient location (a place in Aurburn, Wa). Be sure to ask though and make sure that the distributor can sell for personal use, as some of the distributors on that list will not sell to the general public. ..And just in case someone points out the retail locations search tool on Kendall's website, I did not have any luck finding someone close to me using that tool. https://www.kendallmotoroil.com/marketers

As far as the SA content, this new formula dexos is at a 0.9. It is also interesting to note that Kendall has recently updated their Engine oils to take in to consideration LSPI by meeting the new API SN Plus certification (see link to bee blog post Feb 2018: https://www.kendallmotoroil.com/newsroom/upgraded-kendall-pcmo-line-combats-lspi ) Here is also a link describing what was done to make the new dexos formula: https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/blog/...etic-motor-oil/. I think it would be nice to have a VOA to know what the moly / calcium content is on the GTI dexos oil. However, seeing their past history it looks to be a good oil! But is it better than the Valvolone or mobil 1 for my 1.6l turbo GDI engine?

Last edited:
I found the Kendall distributor by using the following link from their website. I then called around to find the lowest prices / most convenient location (a place in Aurburn, Wa). Be sure to ask though and make sure that the distributor can sell for personal use, as some of the distributors on that list will not sell to the general public. ..And just in case someone points out the retail locations search tool on Kendall's website, I did not have any luck finding someone close to me using that tool. https://www.kendallmotoroil.com/marketers

As far as the SA content, this new formula dexos is at a 0.9. It is also interesting to note that Kendall has recently updated their Engine oils to take in to consideration LSPI by meeting the new API SN Plus certification (see link to bee blog post Feb 2018: https://www.kendallmotoroil.com/newsroom/upgraded-kendall-pcmo-line-combats-lspi ) Here is also a link describing what was done to make the new dexos formula: https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/blog/...etic-motor-oil/. I think it would be nice to have a VOA to know what the moly / calcium content is on the GTI dexos oil. However, seeing their past history it looks to be a good oil! But is it better than the Valvolone or mobil 1 for my 1.6l turbo GDI engine?

Before d1G2, my take was that some flavor of M1 5W30 was the best choice for my DIT engine...vanilla M1, EP, and ESP all showed low calcium and next to no sodium in VOAs and UOAs. Castrol Edge 5W30 seemed to have been very low calcium around the time I was checking into oils for DIY, but quickly changed to mid calcium levels.
With d1G2, it seems like ~1100 ppm Ca, ~800 ppm Mg, and very low sodium is very common in 5W30s now. I think choosing an oil for a DIT now can largely be driven by price, availability, and/or performance details that are meaningful to the driver when information can be found...NOACK loss, HTHS, CCS viscosity, whatever floats your boat. I just bought some Valvoline FS because they were nice enough to actually publish a pretty good NOACK loss result at 9.3% and the HTHS was a bit higher than many d1G2 5W30s at 3.2, but I probably wouldn't buy it for the winter because the CCS viscosity didn't knock my socks off (~5000 cP).

I just called Kendall they were not able to give me NOACK numbers, but they did give me calcium 1300 ppm. Not bad, not fantastic.

Last edited:
I was going to try the GT-1 D1G2 5W-30, but upon hearing that they do NOT put titanium into the add pack formula due to SA increases, I got turned off to it (ONE of my most influential rationales for using it!).

NOT knowing what else they use in place of the titanium (trimer moly, boron, tungsten, whatever) does not give me any other encouragement to use it (combined with either the shipping, or driving a 160 mile round trip to pick it up from the most local distributor willing to sell it over their counter).

Blauparts; PLEASE PLEASE get the D1G2 formula Ravenol DXG 5w-30 into stock already!!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I was going to try the GT-1 D1G2 5W-30, but upon hearing that they do NOT put titanium into the add pack formula due to SA increases, I got turned off to it (ONE of my most influential rationales for using it!).

NOT knowing what else they use in place of the titanium (trimer moly, boron, tungsten, whatever) does not give me any other encouragement to use it (combined with either the shipping, or driving a 160 mile round trip to pick it up from the most local distributor willing to sell it over their counter).

Blauparts; PLEASE PLEASE get the D1G2 formula Ravenol DXG 5w-30 into stock already!!
mad.gif

According to a recent VOA, Valvoline FS 5W30 d1G2 has some titanium-based additives (thread is referenced above in a reply to one of my posts).

When I called Kendall they said the only reason they did not have titanium in their dexos is because it was not allowed by GM to get the dexos 1 gen 2 certification. This is still a great oil as it is meets the new API SN Plus with resource conserving as well as the dexos.

Last edited:
When I called Kendall they said the only reason they did not have titanium in their dexos is because it was not allowed by GM to get the dexos 1 gen 2 certification. This is still a great oil as it is meets the new API SN Plus with resource conserving as well as the dexos.

That’s odd because Castrol and Valvoline both have titanium in their latest formulations meeting d1G2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back