Delo CK4 still a no go from Ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone knows why Ford still hasn't approved of the new CK4 delo oil for the PSD yet. Not a big deal as I could buy rotella since that's on the list but I have a 150 gallon air compressed self dispensing container full of delo 10w30 that I use on tractors and semi trucks. Would be much more convenient if I could just use that delo oil.

Ford won't certify Delo until the oil meets Ford's anti-wear specs.
Which means your current oil won't be back specced by Ford.
Which means Delo would need to reformulate, so the stand off continues.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Chevron could care less if it meets Ford's PSD spec or not, plenty of fish in the sea !

Originally Posted By: Garak
Or perhaps Chevron isn't interested?
They did not meet the previous specification, so my guess is you are correct.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Or perhaps Chevron isn't interested?
They did not meet the previous specification, so my guess is you are correct.

I use the Delo CJ-4 5W40. Still easy to find at Walmart. That meets the Ford diesel spec right?

Last edited:
You are correct (last time I checked), Delo 5w-40 Ck4 does not meet new Ford Spec. Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 CK4 meets Ford spec and is easily available for me in my area...so that is my new go to. Sadly, no more Delvac 5w-40 for me. Indeed, the stand off continues.

Last edited:
Interesting article on this what I would call a diesel oil spec cluster.... and how not to execute it at the regulatory side.
Did they API not consult with stakeholders? And if they did, why was this not resolved before launch?
Having run a very large fleet with mixed motor spec ... Ford diesels, Sprinter 3.0L diesel, Ford gas trucks..this spec revision is extremely hard to manage, especially when most were serviced in 3rd party garages.

https://www.oildepot.ca/solution-ford-concerns-2017-api-ck-4-diesel-motor-oil-specs/

Thanks for the share Danno. What did Ford test that Cummins, Freightliner, etc. didn't? Wish Ford would provide more technical info. Anyway, annoying issue for sure.

The only oil that meets their specs that I can ever find is rotella and Ford's motorcraft oil. I like to run 5w40 and can only find motorcraft 540 at the dealership for an outrageously high price. Looks like rotella is my only bet for 5w40. Never really been a rotella guy tho I always liked using cj4 delo but can't find it anymore.

Weezybabydoll, Rotella 5w-40 T6 CK4 doesn't show Ford spec on their website...where did you see that?

Last edited:
Rotella 5w-40 Ck4 meets Ford spec Ford WSS M2C171-E; not WSS-M2C171-F1. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
If I find the link I'll post it but as of March 2018 rotella was on the list of f1 approved oils to use on powerstroke engines. Also on the list for example is CHS branded oils, Valvoline premium blue, motorcraft oils and a bunch more random ones I can't remember.

Thanks Weezybabydoll. I see it on the Ford list but Shell's website for T6 5w-40 doesn't list WSS-M2C171-F1. Good to know that option is on the table for 6.7. Appreciate the clarification.

Unless this website is wrong. I'll take my chances with the rotella t6 it's 20 bucks at Walmart compared to motorcraft 5w40 I can only find at the stealership for over 40 bucks!

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
You are correct (last time I checked), Delo 5w-40 Ck4 does not meet new Ford Spec. Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 CK4 meets Ford spec and is easily available for me in my area...so that is my new go to. Sadly, no more Delvac 5w-40 for me. Indeed, the stand off continues.

Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 does meet it, which is cold comfort, as it were, to American consumers.

Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 does meet it, which is cold comfort, as it were, to American consumers.

Delvac 1 ESP is for Emission control Systems Protection (Low SAPS) anyway.......

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...20Statement.pdf

Updated Ford Motor Company CK-4/FA-4 Ford Position
Statement
Due to Ford Motor Company’s commitment to continuous improvement, Ford will keep
our customer informed of changes to this situation
On December 1, 2016 the American Petroleum Institute (API) began licensing two new
diesel motor categories CK-4 and FA-4. API CK-4 was released to replace CJ-4. FA-4 is
a low viscosity diesel oil released for diesel engines designed for a lower viscosity oil.
API FA-4
Due to its low viscosity FA-4 should not be used in any Ford diesel vehicles at this time.
API CK-4

Ford will not be recommending the use of CK-4 motor oils in any Ford diesel engines,
new or old. Ford testing has shown some CK-4 type formulations have shown
inadequate wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensed
before 2016.

Ford now recommends using oils that meet our OEM specification, Ford Material
Engineering Specification WSS-M2C171-F1. Similar to many other diesel engine
manufacturers who also only recommend oils meeting their own OEM specifications.
WSS-M2C171-F1 contains all the requirements of CK-4 with additional Ford
requirements for added engine protection. The customer should use an oil that meets
this Ford specification for a short period of time an oil showing CJ-4 in the API donut, without showing CK-4,
would be acceptable for service even if not showing WSS-M2C171-F1. This oil would
most likely be an older CJ-4 formulation, developed and licensed prior to 2016. Years of
experience and Ford testing has shown that these older CJ-4 formulations provide the
necessary engine protection in all Ford diesel engines where CJ-4 and older C
categories are recommended. Some of these CJ-4 oils could be available for up to a
year after December 1, 2016.
To insure you protect your Ford diesel engine use Motorcraft Super Duty Motor meeting
API CJ-4. A Motorcraft Super Duty Motor meeting WSS-M2C171-F1 will be available 1st
quarter 2017. Check this Motorcraft website for diesel motor oils approved by Ford
Motor Company for servicing Ford diesel engines;
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/category.asp?select=%5BMotor%20
Oil%5D

Extra Precaution
The customer should not use oils labeled CK-4/SN unless they have been approved by
Ford Motor Company to meet WSS-M2C171-F1. This is possible with SAE 10W-40,
15W-40, 5W-40 and 0W-40 oils. At this time SAE 10W-30 oils showing CK-4/SN cannot
meet WSS-M2C171-F1 and should be avoided. So if unsure avoid CK-4 oils that also
shows SN in the API donut.
AND NEVER use C category oils in gasoline engines with emissions catalysts, even if
they show SN in the API donut, like CK-4/SN, CJ-4/SN, etc, UNLESS they also show the
Starburst symbol on the front label stating “American Petroleum Institute Certified for
Gasoline Engines”. SN oils without a Starburst symbol can be harmful to your vehicles
catalyst and reduce fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back