Castrol 0w 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up 15 quarts of Castrol 0w 40 4$ each @ Walmart made in Germany . New stuf coming in made in Belgium , was told by gentelman puting Auto Stock away .Mr PATMAN are you there .

That's a great deal! The last time I went to the Niagara Falls, NY Walmart (a few weeks ago) they had no Castrol 0w40 at all
frown.gif

Castrol edge ti 0w-40 have two diffrent (msds)formula with same specs. There is one EU and a non EU version.

All my Wallyworld had was a lonely quart of Edge in 0w20 for 4.50. No PP euro either
frown.gif

How does 0W-40 compare to GC 0W-30?

I'm getting ready to change the oil on our Audi A4 B6 3.0 and have been using 0W-30 consistently in the 5 years we have owned the car. However, it is quite expensive compared to 0W-40, especially when 0W-40 goes on sale. The car doesn't get driven much so an oil change is once a year or about every 7000 km.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mb32

I'm getting ready to change the oil on our Audi A4 B6 3.0 and have been using 0W-30 consistently in the 5 years we have owned the car. However, it is quite expensive compared to 0W-40, especially when 0W-40 goes on sale. The car doesn't get driven much so an oil change is once a year or about every 7000 km.

I interpret this as a case of one pays less ($$) for more (MOFT) in 0W40.
Well, do one needs more MOFT ?
In granny DD applications, no.
On track days leading the packs, yes.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

They're basically the same oil.

I don't believe that's the case at all. GC 0w30 in it's original green formula was made with a pretty neat base oil made up of PAO/esters. The latest 0w40 does not use that same base oil at all, it has some group 3 mixed in to it. Also, the original GC had no titanium in it, while the new 0w40 does. They really aren't that similar at all, other than the fact that both are from Germany and made by Castrol.

I assumed when he asked how it compared to GC 0w30, that he was talking about the original green GC that we all know and loved. Is the current 0w30 even made in Germany anymore? I thought it was made in Belgium. I haven't heard of anyone refer to the current Edge 0w30 as GC 0w30.

Same base oil. Difference will be in lower NOACK in 0W30 of 8.3% compare to 9.1% in 0W40. HTHS is better of course in 0W40. If you do primarily city driving, 0W30 might be bit better as it will have bit better flow around city oil temperatures. However, considering price difference I am not sure is there any common sense to get it. 0W40 is thin W40 oil. 0W30 has cst of 12.1 while 0W40 is 12.85. Not much difference at 100c.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Same base oil. Difference will be in lower NOACK in 0W30 of 8.3% compare to 9.1% in 0W40. HTHS is better of course in 0W40. If you do primarily city driving, 0W30 might be bit better as it will have bit better flow around city oil temperatures. However, considering price difference I am not sure is there any common sense to get it. 0W40 is thin W40 oil. 0W30 has cst of 12.1 while 0W40 is 12.85. Not much difference at 100c.

If 0W-30 were cheaper and easier to find, I would use that over 0W-40 in my X5. "As thing as possible, as thick as necessary," right? The 0W-30 probably has less VII, hence the better NOACK and slightly thinner KV100.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

If 0W-30 were cheaper and easier to find, I would use that over 0W-40 in my X5. "As thing as possible, as thick as necessary," right? The 0W-30 probably has less VII, hence the better NOACK and slightly thinner KV100.

Well, depends on application. If you pushing gasser hard, maybe W40 is better. For combined driving, 0W30 is better.

Just ordered 2 jugs of 0w-40 from Amazon for my upcoming oil change.

Having never bought any oil in 5qt jugs before, now I am also going to have to invest in an oil funnel.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just ordered 2 jugs of 0w-40 from Amazon for my upcoming oil change.

Having never bought any oil in 5qt jugs before, now I am also going to have to invest in an oil funnel.
smile.gif

For the bimmer or Audi?

Well, depends on application. If you pushing gasser hard, maybe W40 is better. For combined driving, 0W30 is better.

Daily driven X5. Plus, its an naturally aspirated V8 with a huge oil cooler. It's very easy on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back