Looks like Valvoline is trying again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. I can't even find it on the Valvoline site! I'm curious if/how it would "stabilize" an already-stable syn oil. Ditto for Lucas and STP oil stabilizer.

Don't get me wrong, I very much like the Lucas PS fluid, but does anyone know if their oil stabilizer is useful?

Originally Posted By: RyanY
Hmm. I can't even find it on the Valvoline site! I'm curious if/how it would "stabilize" an already-stable syn oil. Ditto for Lucas oil stabilizer.

Don't get me wrong, I very much like the Lucas PS fluid, but does anyone know if their oil stabilizer is useful?

Whenever I see the word stabilize or the like on an additive, I think of Lucas and their garbage Oil Stabilizer. As lousy it is, it sells though, and I have a feeling Valvoline is trying to cash in. I would imagine at some point we'll see a VOA, maybe it is an improved VSOT which was loved here years ago.

I think Lucas uses the word stabilizer to describe.. adding thick oil to counter oil shear and degrading viscosity improvers. Could probably use some of my 75w90 M1 diff gear oil in the same way???

From reading along and using some oil stabilizers myself at times, my take is this: if your oil ain't good enough, don't doctor it up with additives - use a better oil.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Modern oil thats changed every 3k? No faith at all. Probably as well. Back of the bus as usual.

I was never impressed with Valvoline motor oil.
27.gif
Pennzoil and Mobil got the lions share of my $$ over the years.

One has to ask: If Valvoline and Lucas' oils are so good as they claim, then why do they market a so-called oil stabilizer, and what specifically is it supposed to stabilize?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
One has to ask: If Valvoline and Lucas' oils are so good as they claim, then why do they market a so-called oil stabilizer, and what specifically is it supposed to stabilize?

I agree. I'll play Devil's advocate here, nothing more. Let me start by saying I don't use the stuff, nor will I. I posted for those who might be interested or used VSOT in the past. Having said that here goes. One could say they make it to make their competition's oil better, certainly something their marketing department might try.

Then I think about Schaeffer's #132, which is similar in viscosity to STP and LOS, only it's loved here and used by many, including myself on a few occasions. Why would a well respected company like Schaeffer's make an oil additive? Do we know if it is better or worse than this stuff? Add to the bottom line perhaps? That's what I think Valvoline is doing here.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Mood stabilizer - you pour some Lucas in and you feel warm & fuzzy.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
From reading along and using some oil stabilizers myself at times, my take is this: if your oil ain't good enough, don't doctor it up with additives - use a better oil.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back