BG oil additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Engine Oil Additives”
“Your vehicle does not require oil additives. In fact, they may adversely affect the engine performance and durability.”
This is straight from the manual on my new Accord and the dealership requires BG oil additive to every oil change after 36,000 for their engine for life deal. What a joke shows reading your manual is a good thing.

Oh by the way at least the new Accords go you do NOT receive a full manual when you buy the vehicle brand new. You have to request it online to get one. That’s new to me.

Once the factory warranty is up the dealer can demand whatever they want to continue the warranty on the engine. They demand you buy an extra service that you don't need or there goes their part of the warranty extension, its a hose job they know hardly anyone will stay with.
It sounds like a place to stay away from IMO.

What is the price of that treatment?

The removal of the manual is a penny pinching bean counter measure. They probably figure most people will google it online.

I had debated on if I was going to have them perform the oil changes until then but me finding that information in the manual has me thinking of not even touching my car.

Originally Posted By: JC1
What is the price of that treatment?

The removal of the manual is a penny pinching bean counter measure. They probably figure most people will google it online.

$44 for oil change and filter and $16 I believe for the BG oil additive.

If thats the only requirement it doesnt seem that bad, but Im sure they would find a way to void or not honor that warranty. Unless there is an inherent defect, I dont see how the engine would have any issues under normal conditions. I assume your car is a turbo? If my manual says that and the dealer makes it a requirement I would simply service the car myself and not bother with them at all.

If it were me, I'd work very hard to find a different dealer. A dealer that specifically and directly violates the manufacturer's requirements for their vehicles is the last dealer I'd want to patronize.

Doesn't Honda provide a "powertrain warranty" that goes beyond the 36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty? If so, Honda Motor Company specifies the maintenance and fluids required after 36,000 miles. What the dealership says is irrelevant.

BG sales reps probably sold the dealership on the product/service and how much additional profit it could generate.

As for the warranty part of it, all they have to do is say "no" to any repair they don't want to pay. In other words they have all the leverage.

BG products are $$ for many dealers but I haven't heard of one actually requiring the additive to maintain the warranty. I'd be calling the AG consumer affairs hotline.

I’m going to go by there and speak to them about it and see what the exact requirements are

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
BG products are $$ for many dealers but I haven't heard of one actually requiring the additive to maintain the warranty. I'd be calling the AG consumer affairs hotline.

I would say it isn't for the factory warranty, that it is for some extended warranty either offered or paid for in addition to the factory one.

Get the number for the nearest Honda field office and call them. Explain the situation and ask if it is necessary to add BG to maintain the warranty. If they say no, go back to the dealer and tell them what the field office told you. The dealer has a franchise to maintain and the last think they want is to have a problem with the field office. I had a problem with a Chevy dealer years ago. I called the field office and they called the dealer. The dealer had a complete attitude adjustment the next time I went in for service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back