RAVENOL 0W-20 ECS

Status
Not open for further replies.
RAVENOL 0W-20 ECS

Available on Amazon.com. $62 for 5 liter. Expensive, but how does it compare to other high end, expensive oils? Made in Germany, so a true PAO based synthetic.

Would this outperform Amsoil, Redline, Mobil AP, etc. Normal driving, lots of short trips, not Dexos1 approved, so a no-go for the `16 Suburban.

They were one of the first to come out with a 0w-16, so it seems as if they have a grip on low viscosity oil.

All the oils you mention (that are not Ravenol) use a blend of GroupIII and PAO (redline has POE too), so I'd go with those. Those blends perform very very well.
Remember its really the overall formula, not just the base oil that makes an oil perform well.

"...a good combination
of antioxidants and detergents
can significantly reduce
the formation of oxidized
species that create sludge,
and a balanced mixture of
detergents can reduce
deposit formation on the pistons.
Finally, optimized dispersants
can solubilize
sludge, preventing its separation
from the lubricant."
-- Keith Howard, Lubrizol

Keith Howard just described the tough game played by oil, and I think won, by Mobil1 Annual Protection (PAO+GroupIII+???) in the best example of the latest tech for this.

Yeah the suburban would explode if a REAL synthetic was put in there. ReallY?

Dexos1 in non- turbo - bahhhh!

Lots of Junk DEXOS1 rated oils.

Just run a good oil.

Polly Approved! keeps my pet Raven's feathers well oiled!

Little%20Raven%20%28C%29Jill%20Wilson%202016%20birdlifephotography.org_.au_.jpg

Last edited:
Not worth $62
especially when it says A5/B5 on the bottle (it's impossible for a 0w20 to meet that standard)

Liqui-Moly's 0w20 is $35 and Idemitsu is $23. Actually, both of them combined are cheaper than the Ravenol formula.

Idemitsu also has a couple cool oils called Zepro. The first is a 0w20 that is licensed d1g2 for $28. The other is called Advanced Moly for $30

Motul has a Group V Ester 0w20 for $43

Any d1g2 0w20 would be better than Ravenol. I'd buy one of the Idemitsu/Zepro oils before spending over $60 on Ravenol.

But for a normal OLM-dictated OCI in regular daily driving conditions, the cheapest 0w20 that meets dexos1 gen2 standards is just fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Motul has a Group V Ester 0w20 for $43

Which one and where?

All the oils I listed were on Amazon. Here is the listing for the Motul 8100 X-Lite 0w20
smile.gif

Where an oil is made has nothing to do with whether it is a "true" synthetic (group 4/5 base). Plenty of "Made in Germany" Liqui-Moly oils that are not "trye" synthetics... in fact, all of them.

I think you're over-thinking your oil choice for your 4runner. And I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat M1 EP or AP with ANY 0W-20 oil.

^^^It used to be LAW throughout Europe that an oil could not be labeled "FULL SYNTHETIC" with a majority group 3/3+/Visom, or GTL base stock, and little to no group 4/5 base stock content.

Did this change somewhere along the line, and they now are using OUR U.S. 'definition' of "full synthetic"?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^It used to be LAW throughout Europe that an oil could not be labeled "FULL SYNTHETIC" with a majority group 3/3+/Visom, or GTL base stock, and little to no group 4/5 base stock content.

Did this change somewhere along the line, and they now are using OUR U.S. 'definition' of "full synthetic"?
confused2.gif

I think the law is still the same, but that doesn't mean you can't manufacture group 3 PCMO in Germany. It can be sold in Germany as "synthetic technology" or elsewhere as "full synthetic."

People are chasing these bases like a witch hunt. New BMW oil I think is Grp 3. My understanding was unless you got to some insane temperature that the 3's and 4's were pretty similar. It was also noted that additives make the monster not the other way around.

Nope.

The real synthetics offer much better performance on the road - for those of us young enough to have enjoyed running full synthetic in sports cars and trucks.

Not all engines liked them, but those that did never ran better or MORE CONSISTENT.

I 'chase' these base stocks because no matter which "latest and greatest" group 3/3+/GTL/etc. developments come down the pike in base stocks which are NOT POEs/PAOs, none of them seem to be able to deliver as low a NOACK rate as those which ARE groups 4/5.
wink.gif

This used to NOT matter to me all that much when I was driving an NA, port injected V-8, but now, with a high factory boost (up to 23 pounds) TURBO, with a fairly high static compression ratio (10.0:1), AND direct injection, I do indeed pay VERY CLOSE attention to this spec.

What was the base stock makeup of the very much revered on here old Pennzoil whatever designation (lost track of them all!) which was around a 5.0% (or less?) NOACK for their 5W/10W-30s?

I 'chase' these base stocks because no matter which "latest and greatest" group 3/3+/GTL/etc. developments come down the pike in base stocks which are NOT POEs/PAOs, none of them seem to be able to deliver as low a NOACK rate as those which ARE groups 4/5.
wink.gif

-snip-
What was the base stock makeup of the very much revered on here old Pennzoil whatever designation (lost track of them all!) which was around a 5.0% (or less?) NOACK for their 5W/10W-30s?

That revered Pennzoil used GTL
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
wink.gif

-snip-

That revered Pennzoil used GTL
smile.gif

With absolutely NO PAO whatsoever mixed into the base stock 'magic'?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Pure GTL has pretty impressive NOACK figures. On par with PAO. Remember PU?

So then WHY are SOPUS's current GTL based offering so disappointing as far as NOACK goes?!?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back