Tire wear - is this usual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

p265/75/16 Firestone Destination LE2.

First rotation @ 5000 miles - still 12/32"

Second rotation @ 8000 miles - down between 8-9/32"

I guess what I am trying to ascertain is will a typical tire wear quickly, then level off? Else, these Firestone tires aren't going to get close to 60k. Realistically, I was hoping for 40k.

12/32"? I've never seen a tire start out with higher than 11/32".. and most start out between 10/ and 10.5/32" in my experience. You sure that first measurement wasn't off?

Did you measure this? If the tire shop did the rotation they might have eyeballed it.

What vehicle what axle was measured?
Did you measure in multiple places each time?

I have always felt that as a tyre gets towards the legal limit (1.6mm in the UK) that wear slows down slightly.

I have no proof and it is merely an anecdotal observation.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
12/32"? I've never seen a tire start out with higher than 11/32".. and most start out between 10/ and 10.5/32" in my experience. You sure that first measurement wasn't off?

It depends on the tread.

My new 265/70-17 All-Terrain tires start at 14/32"

Wear (and friction losses) definitely drop with higher mileage, especially on heavier duty LT tires-but unfortunately off-road, rain, & snow performance drop too. If the wear is even on all four corners, it might be related to the kind of driving you do. I do a lot of curvy back roads for work, I routinely only get half the mileage out of a set of tires as my interstate straight line co-workers do.

Originally Posted By: mjk

I guess what I am trying to ascertain is will a typical tire wear quickly, then level off? Else, these Firestone tires aren't going to get close to 60k. Realistically, I was hoping for 40k.

As others have said, I suspect these are shop measurements and I wouldn't take them too seriously as accurate.

But it is possible that the usage is what is causing the rapid wear. Most tire wear occurs in the cornering mode. So if you are making a lot of short trips or live in the city, your tires just aren't going to wear well. Hard driving will do that as well.

Thank you CapriRacer. Yes, the Tahoe saw a lot of city driving (Minneapolis) during that time frame. I am using it now mostly on weekends, and it is mostly highway miles.

Haven't used a lot of truck tires then, have you? One of the last sets of tires I bought for my old F150 started at 17/32". As was posted, Firestone says 12 from the factory...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Did you measure this? If the tire shop did the rotation they might have eyeballed it.

This. We have this problem at work ALL the time. Unless you measured it yourself, and always with the same tread depth gauge, the actual numbers may be considerable different.

We had one tech who had a depth gauge that was a full 3/32" off, and another tech just eye balls it.

I would take those measurements with a HUGE grain of salt.

Last edited:

Yes, tires tend to wear at a quicker rate when new and will level off. A 4/32nds difference in 3000 miles is way too much, though.

The 2nd rotation occurred at 8k, after the 1st. Poor wording on my part. 13k on tires...

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8

Yes, tires tend to wear at a quicker rate when new and will level off. A 4/32nds difference in 3000 miles is way too much, though.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

Haven't used a lot of truck tires then, have you? One of the last sets of tires I bought for my old F150 started at 17/32". As was posted, Firestone says 12 from the factory...

Nope, I certainly have not. Guess that explains why the number seemed odd to me.

My money is on their not performing accurate measurements as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back