Wire brush for hub holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a quality wire brush that would work to clean out the rust and corrosion on threads that lug bolts screw into. Not the bolt itself, but the hub side of things.

What do folks use?

I use these things that my local hardware store sells. They don't last forever but seem to work for what you're describing:

7585087-23.jpg

I've used a tap for ones in rough shape - then I hit the holes and bolts with a shot of pure zinc primer. Keeps them from corroding in the future and you get a nice, even feel as they screw in, so your torque setting is accurate.

1) I use a small wire wheel on a cordless drill to clean everything I can.
The studs or the bolts' exterior threads, the hub itself, the hole in the wheel the hub goes into, the mating surfaces of the rotor and wheel.
It's amazing how much powder (corrosion) comes off.

2) What is pure zinc primer?
I was once given a spray can of zinc chromate (pale, pea green in color) to prime some aluminum.
An old airplane mechanic gave it to me.
I was told later that the stuff is no longer available.

Is there a specific size you are using? I have 17mm lug studs, not sure what diameter of brush to get!

No specific size. I just set the drill down securely and use it as a "bench tool".

Cleaning any surface is just a matter of reaching it.
Buy the variety pack of wire wheels at Harbor Freight and wear eye protection as their cheap junk brushes fling wee wires all over the place.

I WISH I had cylindrical or conical brushes I could shove into the holes just to do the job completely.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
Is there a specific size you are using? I have 17mm lug studs, not sure what diameter of brush to get!

You mean the heads of the bolts are 17mm, will be 12mm bolts.

just go to Amazon and google conical bottle brush. I just did and got over 200 hits. You can get nylon brushes but i suspect that copper/brass would remove rust alot better and not damage steel or cast iron.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
1) I use a small wire wheel on a cordless drill to clean everything I can.
The studs or the bolts' exterior threads, the hub itself, the hole in the wheel the hub goes into, the mating surfaces of the rotor and wheel.
It's amazing how much powder (corrosion) comes off.

2) What is pure zinc primer?
I was once given a spray can of zinc chromate (pale, pea green in color) to prime some aluminum.
An old airplane mechanic gave it to me.
I was told later that the stuff is no longer available.

Zinc chromate is hazmat...stay away from that stuff...

Hit up the paint aisle at your favorite hardware store - Rust-oleum makes it, for example. Sometimes called “cold galvanizing compound”.

https://www.amazon.com/RUST-OLEUM-7785-8...lvanizing+spray

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gimpy1
just go to Amazon and google conical bottle brush. I just did and got over 200 hits. You can get nylon brushes but i suspect that copper/brass would remove rust alot better and not damage steel or cast iron.

Tried that. Didn't get any metal brushes, just plastic, which I assume will not be nearly as effective..

Originally Posted By: spavel6
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Zinc chromate is hazmat...stay away from that stuff...

Hit up the paint aisle at your favorite hardware store - Rust-oleum makes it, for example. Sometimes called “cold galvanizing compound”.

https://www.amazon.com/RUST-OLEUM-7785-8...lvanizing+spray

You just spray it into the holes and let dry? I'd be afraid it would seize even worse onto the bolts...

Yep.

It's zinc paint. It's soft. The bolts go in smoothly. Then come out smoothly much later. Little or no rust in the holes as a result, and that includes vehicles that are driven through salt water, because we get tidal flooding once in a while. I also wire brush the hubs down to bare metal, and hit them with a thin, even coat of zinc. Keeps the aluminum wheels from sticking due to corrosion.

Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back