Cars CR Thinks Will Last 200K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
That article is very misleading.

Yes, Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords are certainly capable of going 200k miles, but the ones pictured and described in the article are almost brand new, and very different from the vehicles that are a few years old and have actually achieved that milestone.

That's like telling me since my current Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L engine has made it to 180k miles, a new Jeep Cherokee (which shares nothing in common with mine except the name) will do the same.

I don't understand how they came up with this list. I'm assuming a Silverado/Sierra, Ram, or Tundra would be just as reliable as a F150.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Anything can go 200k miles if you take care of it.

Not here in the salt belt.

Everything will rust out before it wears out. Which will happen way before 200K

Originally Posted By: knerml

I can not see a Prius going 200K w/o big battery expense.

There was a Prius in Vancouver with 350K on it on the original battery - and it was a cab too. Vancouver also ain't a flat city as well. But it's strictly an YMMV deal with batteries as they are a electrochemical device. Some people might make it to 200K+ on the original battery, some might need a new one once 120K rolls around.

crazy2.gif
I simply don't believe it.
There isn't a single offering from Volvo or BMW on that list.

Just go to copart, dial in >200k and look at the odometer photos. 200k is not an amazing number, 580+k on a towncar, 667k on a ram, now those are numbers.

Originally Posted By: knerml

This is per Consumer Reports.
As expected, made up of Hondas and Toyotas. The F150 did sneak in.
I can not see a Prius going 200K w/o big battery expense.

The Prius has been in production for over 20 years, that's enough history to look at (along with a huge number of units sold) to allow for some good reliability predictions.

Seems a little behind the times. What cars made today won't last 200k miles?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Seems a little behind the times. What cars made today won't last 200k miles?

That seems more like it. I see 200K cars all the time and they are not all Toyota and Honda in fact most are not.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

That's a very different situation.

My Mother-in-law just traded in her 2009 Nissan Murano AWD with 235k miles on it. Used nothing but conventional Castrol on 5k OCI's. Nothing more than 2 CV axles and power steering pump replaced at 200k besides maint stuff. CVT fluid and spark plugs were replaced once at 100k. I think a battery in 2014.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

That is why I don't drive the 1er in the winter.
wink.gif
Although, my winter car has 160k and is still rust free.

CR is useless. All Hondas and Toyotas are perfect and anything else is trash.

In the real world, tons of GM and Ford SUVs and Trucks with well over 200K on them. Heck, I scanned codes for a guy the other day at the auto parts store with 464K on his 01 F150 4.6 and all he did was change the tranny once (I asked him)... he needed a $32 ignition coil and was back on the road.

Last edited:
Estimates of longevity must be tempered with location and driving conditions.

I have an 84 Civic wagon that has never seen snow and ice and very little rain and is parked inside a garage or now under a car cover. It's not useful to compare my rust free, accident-free vehicle with one from the rust belt driven by someone that considers a car an appliance that needs maintenance of some kind or other every now and then, a person that knows the car is toast when the rust starts growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back