One oil for all cars and driving conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three vehicles with widely different driving conditions. I want to start using inexpensive Walmart synthetic to simplify my life, save money and because I HATE chasing rebates. The Super Tech 5w 30 full syn is now rated Dexos 1 Gen 2

The vehicles are ..........

2012 Chevy Cruze - 6000 miles per year. Non turbo, mostly used for longer trips of 15 miles or so. Plan to change oil and filter every year. So far, the OLM shows 50% remaining at one year. 35k miles at present.

1998 Toyota Tacoma - Extreme short tripper. 4000 miles per year. Used for 2 mile a day trips to work. Gets a once a month trip of 20 miles to the landfill. Plan to change oil every six months and the filter yearly. 216K miles at present.

2003 Dodge Caravan - 3.3 V6 - 6000 miles per year. This is the most abusive service IMO. Used for short tripping and trailer towing. The van is driven 2 miles to work for months on end then used to haul a trailer down a highway or up a mountain. The 3.3 V6 is a known sludge engine. Plan to change oil every six months and the filter yearly. 135K miles at present.

Oil filters will probably be Fram Ultra. Available at Walmart with the oil.

What do you folks think of my scheme? Thanks in advance for any advice.

5w30 should suit you well. The only tweak I'd make is to not use a FU on the Caravan. Given the OCI and length of service, a TG, EG or the new Super Tech filter will be more than sufficient. This will save you a few pennies.

Do you plan to re-use the filters? Based on what your plan is, the oil choice seems absolutely fine. You arent running long intervals. I wouldnt spend so much on Fram Ultras unless you plan to use them twice or more. Personally for single use Id go with a Napa Proselect for 3$ each. I have had great results with them. Or see if you can buy OEMs. Just grab enough filters for 2 yrs of changes. Dont think the ultra is worth the cost for low mileage intervals.

My choice would be Mobil1 0w40 for all vehicles. As far as filters: Fram Ultra for two OCIs on the Cruze and Tacoma, and one OCI on SuperTech oil filter for the Caravan.

I'm a 10W30 fan myself-if you have a farm store that carries it, the Mystik JT-8 in a 5 gallon pail is hard to beat for the price. Although the Cruze would probably like a 5W30 better.

Fram Ultra is not available for the Cruze, you can use the cartridge TG10246 Fram, good choice, Walmart.
Good plan, except choose the Supertech High Mileage version for the 2 older vehicles to make sure the seals stay flexible and don't begin leaking.
Also, Castrol Magnatec 5w30 is available for the Cruze for about the same cost as the SupertTech full syn you mentioned; I'd probably use the Magnatec (again, in Walmart for cheep).

Nothing wrong with the oil choice, I can see that working well in all three but for the use the FU is overkill. The Supertech filter should work well enough for this use.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Nothing wrong with the oil choice, I can see that working well in all three but for the use the FU is overkill. The Supertech filter should work well enough for this use.

I think OP is trying to replace filters less often...[retracted]...after a re-read it seems the plan is annual.

Last edited:
Quote:
2003 Dodge Caravan - 3.3 V6 - 6000 miles per year. This is the most abusive service IMO. Used for short tripping and trailer towing. The van is driven 2 miles to work for months on end then used to haul a trailer down a highway or up a mountain. The 3.3 V6 is a known sludge engine. Plan to change oil every six months and the filter yearly. 135K miles at present.

Where did you get that idea?? The 3.3/3.8 is not a sludge engine. I have 3 3.3's and a 3.8, all over 200k miles. Absolutely no sludge in any of them, I know because I have changed the VC gaskets on them. You might be thinking of the ill fated 2.7 engine. Early ones did have a sludge issue, something to do with the water pump.

oldmoparguy1, thanks for your input. I read this engine is considered a " sludger " on a Dodge Caravan forum. I did try running Mobil 1 EP and a Mobil 1 filter for one year and 6000 miles, short tripping and trailer towing. At the end of the year, the drained oil appeared thick and opaque, looking for all the world like black paint. I know looking at the oil is no substitute for a UOA, but, I have never seen oil look that bad.

My rationale for 6 month oil changes on short trippers is to use a cheaper oil and dump the impurities, water, and maybe fuel contamination earlier.

Last edited:
Synthetic 10W30
lol.gif

Around here all you need is a 10w30.
If I lived where you do, I'd just use M1 0w40. 0 winter, medium weight, long drain capable, under 5 bucks a qt at Costco several times per year.

I would use your oil choice and SuperTech filters and change the oil and filter once per year on all vehicles. That was easy

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Around here all you need is a 10w30.

Agreed. I would use M1 HM 10w30 on both older cars and AFE for the 2012 Chevy Cruz

The ST HM 5W-30 would be just fine for all of those. You could look into Castrol GTX Magnatec in 5W-30 or QSUD, it's also a full-"synthetic" and can be had cheaply - it should meet D1G2 specs.

What about Castrol Magnatec? It’s a great oil for the price. I would use it over Super Tech. Since you’re in Maryland, I’d stay away from 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
oldmoparguy1, thanks for your input. I read this engine is considered a " sludger " on a Dodge Caravan forum. I did try running Mobil 1 EP and a Mobil 1 filter for one year and 6000 miles, short tripping and trailer towing. At the end of the year, the drained oil appeared thick and opaque, looking for all the world like black paint. I know looking at the oil is no substitute for a UOA, but, I have never seen oil look that bad.

My rationale for 6 month oil changes on short trippers is to use a cheaper oil and dump the impurities, water, and maybe fuel contamination earlier.

How long have you owned this van? If this is a recent purchase, the po may have neglected it. My current beater is a 2000 Dodge GC 3.3. When new, I ran M1 and changed it at 8K or 1 year. At 100k it still went a full cycle without using a drop of oil. At 150k I gave it to one of my sons'. His GF beat the crop out of it. Got it back at 170K, fixed the problems and we now drive it daily, all local. These days it gets Peak 10W-30 bought at DG $3.60/ bogo. It's been changed once around 5k. Everybody drives it. I haven't had to do a top up on the oil since I got it back. We've put about 6k on it since a year ago Jan. Use cheap oil a filter, change it often until you have an idea on the condition of the engine. Supertech oil and filters are just fine. One thing to watch is the PCV. It is really important on that engine design. Don't write it off until you know what you got.

Good luck

Wayne

Thanks for posting about the PCV Oldmoparguy. The PCV in my Caravan made a muffled noise when shaken, like it was gummed or varnished up. A new PCV cut the oil consumption to nothing.

I bought this Caravan from an estate about 5 years ago so maintenance is unknown. I was running Mobil 1 and Mopar filter and changing every 9 months or so. I think the combination of short tripping and trailer towing is pretty hard on the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back