2012 Porsche Cayenne 3.6 V6 Oil Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy All,
This is my first post be gentle~
I am planning to do oil change on my 2012 Porsche Cayenne 3.6 V6(VW V6). My question/concern is, there are "Porsche approved" oil- C30 or VW 504. They are hard to find and just simply confusing to find...

Has anyone NOT using the "factory approved" oil especially on these German cars for long term?

What brand & viscosity are you using? Porsche either recommends 0W-40 or 5W-30... Wonder if 0W-30 will work?

How does off-shelf oil working for you? Any difference?

Thanks in advance for all your comments~

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Doesn't Porsche recommend M1?

Maybe, and if they do it would be Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 for Porsche C30 and Mobil 1 0W-40 for A40.

Is the only difference the SAPS between the two? If so, I can't see how a full-SAPS oil such as the 0W-40 would be harmful in a VR6 engine. It sure is a lot easier to find the A40 approved 0W-40 than going to NAPA or some other place for the C30 ESP.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4381794/Porsche_Cayenne_VR6_(VW)_Why_u

Originally Posted By: csufl
What brand & viscosity are you using? Porsche either recommends 0W-40 or 5W-30... Wonder if 0W-30 will work?

Ignore the brand or grade and focus on the approval. If you decide on an A40 oil the Castrol product is entirely equivalent, as is any other A40 oil.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Walmart- 5qt. jug of Castrol 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Castrol Edge 0W40 ALL THE WAY!!!

Wrong. EDGE 0W-40 is A40 (ACEA A3/B4), not C30 (ACEA C3).

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Yes, and he is suggesting NOT following the C30 rating. I would be putting in Castrol 0W40 as well.

I can't think of a single reason to run a C3 oil over an A3/B4 in a gasoline vehicle.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Yes, and he is suggesting NOT following the C30 rating. I would be putting in Castrol 0W40 as well.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I can't think of a single reason to run a C3 oil over an A3/B4 in a gasoline vehicle.

I misread the OP. In that case, I agree. EDGE or M1 0W-40.

If you get lucky you might still be able to find a jug + a few quarts of the A40-approved Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 on clearance at Walmart for $13 for the 5-qt jug, $3.50 for the individual quarts. And if you subtract the $2/qt Pennzoil rebate (up to 10 quarts) you would have a sub-$20 oil change!

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40

Last edited:
Thanks guys! This is a great forum, I am able to find out a firm answer in just one afternoon!
Went to local Wally world today, only saw a few very pathetic damaged looking grey PP Euro and no jug left....By the way anyone from SoCal still finds the PP Euro available on clearance?
Currently, I just ordered from Wally online and get the Pennzoil rebate!

Last edited:
I'd be careful not to push the miles too high on a 504 oil though. How many miles do you usually do before changing?

Thanks guys! This is a great forum, I am able to find out a firm answer in just one afternoon!
Went to local Wally world today, only saw a few very pathetic damaged looking grey PP Euro and no jug left....By the way anyone from SoCal still finds the PP Euro available on clearance?

Which Pennzoil euro did you go with?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

+ about 1,000
smile.gif

It's 7 qt oil system. Using my "farm logic" I'd say that's good for about a 7,000 mile oil change interval
smile.gif

Last edited:

Which Pennzoil euro did you go with?

I went with Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-0W-40-Motor-Oil-1-qt/44981494

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back