200,000 miles extended warranty from Kia and Hyund

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's not from Hyundai it's just an insurance policy and they don't expect to pay out more than you pay in if that.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
it's just an insurance policy and they don't expect to pay out more than you pay in if that.

OK that is all insurance....

If they pay out more they are actually losing money.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
it's just an insurance policy and they don't expect to pay out more than you pay in if that.

OK that is all insurance....

If they pay out more they are actually losing money.
Yes but it is not a warranty.

Who is the company backing it? You can check their reviews.

If you are really interested do make absolutely sure about these things. They drove me crazy until I finally really told them off one day, called 2x week. Way too pushy . Also didn’t seem to take notice we already had recall 100k warranty either. Personally I wouldn’t ever think of taking any Theta engined Hyundai past 150k, too many engine failures. Already got one in daughters 15 Elantra and the new one sounds like my old farmall running
mad.gif
Since the cause of the failures still remains a mystery🤥 after all these years you know it’s bull#$@&. Possibly Korean made but nothing coming out of Alabama plant for us . It’s back to Toyota for us , no mor Hyundai.......

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Extended warranties are for suckers.

Its all in the details. Ive had some that cover the cheapest chinese parts, 65 an hour for labor, and 200$ deductibles, so on an 12-1300 bill they were kicking in like 200$ after the deductible. Ive also had some very good ones, one today just approved a shock, front lower control arms, and sway bar link on an 09 C63 AMG. THey covered chinese arms at around 65 each, list for the OE was 175, but paid out 400 for the shock, 120 for the mount and 35 for the bearing. Plus our labor rate at 105, and matched our labor times with diag. Im sure he paid 4-5k on the warranty, and he only recenlty came to us, but hes already gotten motor mounts, trans mounts, suspension work and a few smaller items. The suspension job they approved today was about 1900 alone, so hes doing well with them.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Extended warranties are for suckers.
Depends on what you're buying. My aunt had a 2013 VW Beetle TDI and the extended warranty she bought more than paid for itself.

And my mom's 2012 Jeep Patriot has an extended warranty, it has paid for itself many times over.

C'mon, everybody knows you need to buy an extended warranty contract for your $700/mo truck. You can't afford to get it fixed.

Why are you betting the car you are buying is going to break down a lot? Buy a good car and maintain it. It won't pay for itself. They would be out of business if they were good for the consumer.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Depends on what you're buying. My aunt had a 2013 VW Beetle TDI and the extended warranty she bought more than paid for itself.

And my mom's 2012 Jeep Patriot has an extended warranty, it has paid for itself many times over.

Actually depends on a law of averages over time. While your two examples worked in their favor, over a larger sample size, the extended warranty works in the company's that are underwriting it's favor.

Warranties and extended warranties are largely marketing selling a service of risk vs. reward scenario to the buying public.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Actually depends on a law of averages over time. While your two examples worked in their favor, over a larger sample size, the extended warranty works in the company's that are underwriting it's favor.

Warranties and extended warranties are largely marketing selling a service of risk vs. reward scenario to the buying public.
Of course they wouldn't sell them if they didn't make money, but I still stand by what I say. It depends on what you're buying.

Are you buying a car that isn't known for stellar reliability? Like a German car or a Chrysler product? It might work out in your favor for one. If you're buying one for a Corolla, it might not make sense.

I wouldn't bother. The money spent on the strict service guidelines through out the 100k-200k will exceed the cost of any repair.

I would just buy a toyota, and be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back