Properly ventilating a Pole Barn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings!

I am looking to properly ventilate a large uninsulated 60x80 pole barn with a gravel floor that suffers from moisture issues due to the gravel floor, so it's not ideal for auto parking and storage. It's located in the midwest, so lots of temperature swings in the transitional months which covers everything inside with dew.

It has a suspended steel ceiling about 25 ft high that is open to the attic above around the parimiter via a ~12 inch gap, and a central 6x6 access hatch that is currently closed. The attic has the typical ridge vent and lower vents under the two overhangs of the roof. No other vents or fans are present unless I open a vehicle access door or turn a floor fan on.

How would you make due with the moisture coming out of the earth. (yes I would love to slab it eventually with vapor barrier) but until that time, what can I do?

I have ideas, but thought I would ask the community to make sure I head in the right direction.

Thanks!
SOHC

I park outside on a dirt/gravel driveway, I put old conveyor belting down and park over that. It isn't the greatest, but keeps the moisture form the ground from bombarding the ungercarriage.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
drainage would be where I would look.

I have the front two corners drained into buried 6'' corregated tube at least 150 foot away and downhill. the back two drains are only drained about 20 ft away, but its still down hill as this is on the highest point on the property and has negative grade around it.

Originally Posted By: Bambam
I park outside on a dirt/gravel driveway, I put old conveyor belting down and park over that. It isn't the greatest, but keeps the moisture form the ground from bombarding the ungercarriage.

I could park on rubber matts or the like, but the cloud of humidity would still be all around. Would it still make a difference?

I have a coverall and have the same issue. My plan is to put HD vapor barrier under washed stone, basically preparing for a slab. I think this will help a bit but anytime you've got big temp swings with an unsealed building you will get condensation.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I have a coverall and have the same issue. My plan is to put HD vapor barrier under washed stone, basically preparing for a slab. I think this will help a bit but anytime you've got big temp swings with an unsealed building you will get condensation.

Would it be able to resist puncture when parking heavy vehicles on it?

I was hoping that something like a big wall mounted air mover exhaust fan mounted on one end pulling air from the opposite side would help reduce humidity buildup during the dew point swings. I was thinking both the fan and intake vent would be mounted just under the suspended ceiling to not interfere with the ridge/soffit vent system in the attic.

I ran into a black plastic material that I used for the floor of a fabric tent type of shed. After about 5 years the tent disintegrated but I left the fabric on the ground. Another 5 years later, exposed to the weather that stuff looks new. I'll get the name of it. I noticed it had yellow stripes on it but can't recall the brand name. You could lay that down and then put 6 inches of gravel on top.

I would install one of these turbines. Make sure it is not near a passive vent, otherwise it will pull air from that and render is useless. Cover some of the lower vents at the ridge of the roof and make vent holes near the floor and on the ceiling.
This should force air circulation throughout the whole garage.

6969071431965155941.jpg

Last edited:
For a barn that side he need about 4 units , might need above floor inlet air ducts to keep air moving .Provided its not heated all the time . Thats what my Son in law did work like a charm .

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I ran into a black plastic material that I used for the floor of a fabric tent type of shed. After about 5 years the tent disintegrated but I left the fabric on the ground. Another 5 years later, exposed to the weather that stuff looks new. I'll get the name of it. I noticed it had yellow stripes on it but can't recall the brand name. You could lay that down and then put 6 inches of gravel on top.

Cool, sounds like durable stuff!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I would install one of these turbines. Make sure it is not near a passive vent, otherwise it will pull air from that and render is useless. Cover some of the lower vents at the ridge of the roof and make vent holes near the floor and on the ceiling.

6969071431965155941.jpg

Interesting, I think I would have to get rid of my ridge vent and other things like Leaded mentioned to make something like this work. I really like that they wouldn't burn electricity though.

Could these be used horizontally out the side of the building below the drop cieling, or would they need to be on an "L" pipe through the wall and pointed up?

Originally Posted By: LEADED
For a barn that side he need about 4 units , might need above floor inlet air ducts to keep air moving .Provided its not heated all the time . Thats what my Son in law did work like a charm .

Speaking of heating, I have heard that "heating" my barn can keep condensation at bay. At least keeping it above the outside temp with a wood burner or something.

Anyone have experience with heating an uninsulated pole barn?

I had a ridge vent installed when I had a new rof put in a few years ago. I took out three turbines. After three years I took the ridge vent off and put back three more turbines. Ridge venting is over rated. With the ridge venting the resin was driven out of 60 year old wood rafters and beaded up.

When using the turbines be sure to get ALL Aluminum and no steel. They spin much easier.

Lomanco makes them. www.lomanco.com

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

6969071431965155941.jpg

Interesting, I think I would have to get rid of my ridge vent and other things like Leaded mentioned to make something like this work. I really like that they wouldn't burn electricity though.

Could these be used horizontally out the side of the building below the drop cieling, or would they need to be on an "L" pipe through the wall and pointed up?

You probably could, but their operation would be limited to the direction of the wind, as they would be shielded on one side by the building. Having them on top of the roof makes them operate with any wind direction, even if it's a slight breeze.

Since your attic is already vented, maybe running a metal duct straight down from the turbine to the ceiling would be a good idea and should not be that difficult to install.

Just throwing it out there as I never had or seen such a setup yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SOHCman

6969071431965155941.jpg

You probably could, but their operation would be limited to the direction of the wind, as they would be shielded on one side by the building. Having them on top of the roof makes them operate with any wind direction, even if it's a slight breeze.

Since your attic is already vented, maybe running a metal duct straight down from the turbine to the ceiling would be a good idea and should not be that difficult to install.

Just throwing it out there as I never had or seen such a setup yet.

I like that idea, do these have any sort of wind speed limit? I get some hefty winds across the fields at times...

It looks to be 110 mph on their website, so shouldn't be a problem.

When you guys are talking about floor vents and such, how high off the floor are we talking? Does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back