How to get unavailable original recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pretty good collection of music on my iPhone, but I have run into a snag. I purchase music from iTunes, but I am more and more frequently running into the problem of certain songs not being available. I only like the original recordings of music, but I am finding quite often that the original recording is not always available. Instead, what I find is a remake of the original song. They are recorded by the original artist, but they never sound the same as the original recording. I have been told this is done because the owner of the rights to this music for some reason doesn't want to make the song available for purchase. This makes no sense to me. How does the owner of the rights expect to make any money from those rights if the song isn't available for purchase? For example, the most recent song I was trying to download was Gold by John Stewart recorded in 1979. The only version of this song I can find is a remake, and it sounds like a live version. I have looked for it on iTunes and Google Play Music, but neither have the original recording. My question is, how do I get the original version of this song in my phone? I'm sure I can buy the CD, but I don't know how to get the song from there to my phone. Is there another app I can use that would have the original?

Join a good online music forum,you'll be able to probably get any song/artist you're looking for. Music forums are an incredible wealth of impossibly rare music!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Join a good online music forum,you'll be able to probably get any song/artist you're looking for. Music forums are an incredible wealth of impossibly rare music!

Start speaking Russian (actually Ukrainian).
My sister could find some vinyl records (copies) of some pretty good music in the early 90's.
Also, had a friend get a pretty big cd collection that way. 70's music....

and

don't forget private collections.....

Last edited:

Can you recommend any good online music forums?

Its funny, I wanted to play some Four Tops music on Amazon. Nearly exactly the same, but it isnt. It IS the same group, same singer, just slightly different from the original... Cant quite place it.

John Stewart fan here as well.

His live (ironically enough) version (from "The Phoenix Concerts" album) of his own "July You're A Woman" is one of my all time fave songs.
thumbsup2.gif

I believe that the version of "Gold" on the "Earth Rider-The essential Classic Stewart 1964-1979" CD I have IS the absolute original studio recording
21.gif
, but it seems to be long out of print.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm sure I can buy the CD, but I don't know how to get the song from there to my phone. Is there another app I can use that would have the original?

Good luck on the CD. It looks like there was only one publishing run made (in 1994, when Polygram owned the rights) and they're pricey.

Regardless, you can rip a CD through iTunes and load it on your phone.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph20501?locale=en_US

grampi,

Do you have a computer, or only the phone?

Since my computer is old enough to have a CD/DVD drive, I would buy the CD, copy it into iTunes on my computer, and then copy it from there to the phone.

As an alternative, Amazon often gives you digital versions of CDs bought from them, available in Amazon Music under your account. I don't know if those songs can be downloaded, though. Maybe somebody else can answer that.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm sure I can buy the CD, but I don't know how to get the song from there to my phone. Is there another app I can use that would have the original?

Good luck on the CD. It looks like there was only one publishing run made (in 1994, when Polygram owned the rights) and they're pricey.

Regardless, you can rip a CD through iTunes and load it on your phone.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph20501?locale=en_US

If you bought the CD and sold it later when you're done enjoying it you'd get your money back.

Content rights licensing is a HUGE thing. You may have to buy a used physical copy. Streaming rights are... different. As an example the TV show "The Wonder Years" licensed period music for broadcast so if you bought a DVD/home use copy they'd have to strip all the music out.

My dad's car was in a WGBH/PBS produced TV Movie titled "Concealed Enemies." WGBH buried that and it's unobtainable.

You can rip songs from vinyl to MP3, I've done it for a number of records that I have. It takes a bit of work and dedication to do a decent job. It has to be approached like a hobby. You'd need a turntable and pre-amp to get the music into your computer. Then an audio editing program like Audacity to clean-up and edit the songs.

Do you have access to YouTube? Have you looked there for the version you want?

Amazon music (MP3's) is pretty good. Sometimes you have to wade through 10 versions to find the one you want ...

If you have a PC (?), you can rip a CD (from the library...), or add Audacity and record from YouTube. Edit it a bit and export it as the file type you like
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: novadude

Can you recommend any good online music forums?

It depends on what genre of music you're into,they're usually genre specific. All the ones I'm on concentrate on umcomped or unreissued 60s garage/psych rock.

I know what you meant, grampi, but I can't resist the comment that you should look up what "unavailable" means.
wink.gif

There are some good suggestions here. Back in the day, and maybe even today, haven't been on there in a while, but IRC used to be a good source for rare music tracks.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I know what you meant, grampi, but I can't resist the comment that you should look up what "unavailable" means.
wink.gif

There are some good suggestions here. Back in the day, and maybe even today, haven't been on there in a while, but IRC used to be a good source for rare music tracks.

Sticking with my original song example (John Stewart's Gold), I have found the original version of this song is not available on any of the download apps I've looked at, and it appears even the CD that contains this song is either extremely rare, or is very expensive. It is on You Tube, but I have no idea how to download it from there onto my phone, or if that's even possible...so while saying it is unavailable, that may not have been 100% accurate, but it's certainly extremely difficult to find if it is available...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Do you have access to YouTube? Have you looked there for the version you want?

I do and I have, and the version I want is there, however, I have no idea how to get it from there onto my phone....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back