2012 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the starter on subject car. Probably the biggest pain I have ever done. Crazy how difficult it was to get it out and new one in.

Damaged the .29 id coolant hoses taking them off the intake. They just fell apart. Tried to replace with straight hose but it leaked. Wound up have to pay the stealer $25 for two, 6 inch hoses.

Worked out in the end but man that was a tough job.

Last edited:
Well you see they have you and its all done to support Stealership maintenance rather than DIY. If its hard to do well that just adds Stealership maintenance cost that you pay for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Try one of the engines with the starter under the intake manifold.

Rod

Thats where the OPs starter is. Similar to the Honda CRV.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Just changed the starter on subject car. Probably the biggest pain I have ever done. Crazy how difficult it was to get it out and new one in.

Damaged the .29 id coolant hoses taking them off the intake. They just fell apart. Tried to replace with straight hose but it leaked. Wound up have to pay the stealer $25 for two, 6 inch hoses.

Worked out in the end but man that was a tough job.

If you have a Parker store nearby they have all sorts of oddball size hose. They are not making cars easier to work on that's for sure. Years ago it was rare to see some book times like today for the same job.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Try one of the engines with the starter under the intake manifold.

Rod

Thats where the OPs starter is. Similar to the Honda CRV.

Yup, it is under the intake manifold.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I'm surprised the hose degraded so badly in such a short period. Are they near a heat source?

They are right along the casing next to the intake manifold (above flywheel.) I imagine it is pretty hot there. They literally just came apart in my hands with very little pressure in removing them from the intake nubs. I even started them with a small screw driver to get them moving, then pulled them off and both hoses tore. Very little pressure at all. I was surprised.

I'm surprised the hose degraded so badly in such a short period. Are they near a heat source?

They are right along the casing next to the intake manifold (above flywheel.) I imagine it is pretty hot there. They literally just came apart in my hands with very little pressure in removing them from the intake nubs. I even started them with a small screw driver to get them moving, then pulled them off and both hoses tore. Very little pressure at all. I was surprised.

If that's the case then it's really poor material choice on Hyundai's part. If the hoses were near the exhaust manifold, it's a different story, but intake manifold and tranny temps should not affect the hoses.

I would inspect all hoses if I were you.

Last edited:

If that's the case then it's really poor material choice on Hyundai's part. If the hoses were near the exhaust manifold, it's a different story, but intake manifold and tranny temps should not affect the hoses.

Stuff like this is why every time somebody tells me "Hyundai/Kia are great cars, you don't know what you're talking about" I go, uh huh, ok, see how that goes for you. At best they are average in design/reliability/quality. Plus, parts are not common stocking items at auto parts stores.

KrisZ, I agree. Poor quality in my opinion.

Dogememe, I agree with you somewhat. In fairness, the car is 6 years old and has 126,000 miles on it. In that time, I have had the crankshaft position sensor go bad and one of the CV joint boots tore. Also, the starter just went obviously. Other than that, normal maintenance items (brake pads, tranny drain/fill, battery, tires, oil, spark plugs and coolant flush.) Oh, I replaced the serpentine belt also. Not too bad. I have had worse. The hoses are really the only disappointment so far.

JTK, my wife called Hyundai in Matthews, NC and they said between $800-$900 but emphasized that was an estimate........

She also tried a local shop and they estimated $750-$850. So I think the difficulty of this job precedes itself.

Wow, my friend just had a new starter installed in his 2012 Audi A8 W12 for $80. Whew!

Last edited:
I forgot to add, I paid $225 for the starter (got 10% military discount) at AutoZone. I normally buy this stuff from RockAuto but it was an emergency and she needed the car. I also don't care for any electrical component from AutoZone but they are the only ones that had it in stock (despite what online "stock" says........)

I was kind of stuck, so had to shell out the ducks....

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Wow, my friend just had a new starter installed in his Audi A8 W12 for $80. Whew!

How the heck?

Wow, my friend just had a new starter installed in his Audi A8 W12 for $80. Whew!

How the heck?

Sorry, meant $800. And it's a 2012 model.

How the heck?

Sorry, meant $800. And it's a 2012 model.

Ah, okay. Yeah, around $800 seems to be the going rate. Crazy considering it is two bolts and two electrical connections. Took me the better part of a day to do the job though (including having to drive to two auto parts stores and then ultimately, Hyundai.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back