Super Tech 15w40 and other HDEO's.... the clutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a case (3 gallons) of Super Tech 15w40 to use throughout the year. I poured the oil into my wife's TTR230 and into a Honda XR650L as a part of their "spring tuning". I was stunned at how poorly the transmissions performed. Heavy notchy.... hard to find neutral.... both were clunky and horrible feeling. I still haven't found neutral except once in the 230.

I hate it so much, I will probably dump the brand new oil and go to something else. Rotella 15w40, as best my memory has served me, has performed pretty well. Wonder if having to meet JASO helps Rotella perform better with the clutch?????

I did a little searching on this site and actually found several posts like the one below regarding HDEO's and clutch performance.... for shared sump motorcycle engines.

In my BMW "R" bikes, I love HDEO's...... but they have a dry clutch.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
The only reason to even worry about MA rating, is the clutch grip. I can tell ya Rotella has stronger clutch grip than Mobil 1 MC products. Not by a Huge amount, but the difference does exist.

I have ran Rotella in a few differnt bikes, I dont like it im my vfr cause the clutch grip is too strong and makes the shifting notchy, especially the 15w40 rotella.

Valvoline 10W40 motorcycle oil, available at Wal-Mart for $4.xx a quart. Good stuff, excellent shifting, affordable and readily available.

Used ST 15w-40 in my VT1100 and it fixed the hard to find neutral and notchy shifting from whatever oil was in there when I bought it.

Lots of posts of people here using it and not having any problems with it.

I used Rotella 15w40 in my 2008 Suzuki DL 1000 with no ill effects. Transmission and clutch worked great.

Last edited:
I end up doing alot of frankenbrews...the hdeo's I use alot are supertech & Traveller; both are made by the same company; never had an issue in any of my common sump bikes

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Valvoline 10W40 motorcycle oil, available at Wal-Mart for $4.xx a quart. Good stuff, excellent shifting, affordable and readily available.

^^Agree^^ also comes in 20/50. Never understood the love affair with Rotella, not that anything is wrong with it but Valvoline is actually made for motorcycles and for those concerned no one ever has to give a thought about their clutch and it cost the same as Rotella, just about.

Fast forward if you want a synthetic, there is also Valvoline Syn motorcycle oil, same deal, one of the most underrated oils on the market as far as I am concerned. I loved the way my metrics shifted with the $4. a quart 20/50 Valvoline Motorcycle oil, not sure why people think they have to spend $10 a quart on an oil.

Last edited:
I have a KTM 450 (4-stroke) dirt bike and it seems most KTM guys run the Rotella 15w-40. I'm still using Motorex 10w-50 but I bought a slug of it. When it runs out probably switching to Rotella. Cheaper since I change it often so synthetic is a waste.

I've tried the Valvoline 20-50, it was OK and it shifted so-so. The best shifting oil I've tried was Rotella T5 15-40. The semi-synthetic product. The down side is that the newest version is not rated for gasoline engines. I found some T5 at Tractor supply which still had the gas rating.
I've tried lots of oils and always willing to try more.

Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back