Elevator / Rudder On A V-Tail Bonanza ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are these set up to work together? On a conventional T-Tail aircraft they are simple, because they work independently of each other. If you pull the stick / yoke all the way back, the elevator goes full "up". If you stab the left rudder pedal all the way in, it moves the rudder all the way left. I'm assuming these somehow work together on a V-Tail Bonanza.... But how? It must not have been all that great of an idea, seeing has how it never really caught on. Even newer models of the Beech Bonanza have T-Tails.

They use a control mixer that is a bit more complicated than a standard tail setup. V tails have less drag due to one less appendage hanging out in the wind. Some have a little less stability in turbulence, and early V tail Bonanzas had a higher rate of tail failure when over stressed than their conventional tailed sibling(fixed with a reinforcement kit).

Wasn't that V tail arrangement called a "stabilator?" And I recall the G35 underwent a wing modification after several accidents involving wing failure. Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper should have ask more questions before getting on that Bonanza in Clear Lake,Iowa. The kid at the controls didn't have a clue once he was in IFR weather. And why don't we exhume the Big Bopper again to see if he is still dead

[font:Times New Roman][/font]While not the only type/model of aircraft built with a V-tail, the Bonanza is certainly the best-known. The V-tail, while quite usable from an engineering point of view, was a bit too much an attempt to get something for nothing. Two surfaces instead of three seems like a good idea to reduce drag and weight, but a pretty much universal truth of aerodynamics is that things don't work that way. Stability and control effectiveness require 'X' amount of area. Angling tail surfaces results in a need to increase the area of the surfaces, so the net result is minimal savings in either drag or weight, especially when the weight and complexity of the control mixing system is added.

The primary reason for failure of the tail in some Bonanzas was the recognition of the need to increase the size of the surfaces for adequate stability accompanied by a failure to recognize the need for revamping of the structure. Basically, the primary spar for the fixed surfaces was located some distance aft of the leading edge, and the later addition of more surface ahead of the spar resulted in torsional twisting of the spar that could, and did, cause airloads exceeding structural limits. The fix was quite simple: keep the leading edge from moving, thereby eliminating the twisting motion. The C model I owned had simple cuffs that slipped over the leading edge close to the fuselage and were riveted to the fuselage. Ergo, no up or down movement of the leading edge so no twisting so no loss of control or airframe parts.

All Bonanzas built for something like the last three decades have conventional tails, not T-tails.

It is indeed unfortunate that some people died as a result of faulty engineering, but considering that the basic airframe is still in production 71 years after the first model 35 was built, there must have been a good many things done right.

I flew my friends V Tail Bonanza... I learned first hand about the hunting tail and noticed how the
wingtip would trace a small oval against the horizon in flight... mercy I prefer the Debonair or the T34 Mentor...

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
"Stabilator" is an all moving horizontal stabilizer/elevator instead of a fixed stabilizer with a moving elevator.
Thank you taildragger.

The F-16 has a stabilator
855px-F-16_3_Yokota_Tokyo.jpg

The YF-23 had a ruddervator
YF-23%2Btail.jpg

BLS: My C35 had a mod called the Walker Air Skeg. Basically, a formed piece of aluminum riveted to the bottom of the fuselage at the tail end. It was intended to add some fin area. Since I bought the plane with the skeg installed I don't know whether it was truly effective, but I do know that yaw-wise my plane was as stable as a C-172 and better than a PA-28. Maybe I was just lucky.

Originally Posted By: cappilot
BLS: My C35 had a mod called the Walker Air Skeg. Basically, a formed piece of aluminum riveted to the bottom of the fuselage at the tail end. It was intended to add some fin area.

The Lear 35 has the same thing. They are mounted on angles on either side of the fuselage, near the tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back