04 Nissan 350z, Castrol Edge 5W30, 76873 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Embarrassing report--this is a fun car who's oil change interval got lost in the mix--it's never gone that far. This was one track day in 2014, mountain driving and a few long road trips.

Oil consumption was significant--probably less than 2 quarts were drained out.

Also, the car is equipped with a Jim Wolf Pop Charger Cold Air Intake--likely contributing to the air filtration issue mentioned.

If that black bottle fake synthetic or gold bottle (maybe) semi synthetic EDGE?

The Black Bottle Synthetic has always been junk oil IFAIC.

What OIl filter? the lil Nissan filter is garbage and an engine killer.

Run a M1 M110A if it fits or ... ... BANG!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Wix filter. Castrol Edge is garbage?

Do you mean this generation?

I still have one gallon container of the stuff in 10w-30.

The OP came clean and admitted to the issue so we shouldn't hassle him. I was getting tired of all the OK Blackstone reviews and was wondering if they ever came across a bad one. This is a bad one.
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
The OP came clean and admitted to the issue so we shouldn't hassle him. I was getting tired of all the OK Blackstone reviews and was wondering if they ever came across a bad one. This is a bad one.
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, I deserve a bit of hassle. Aside from this bad interval, the car has had the oil changed regularly. Right now it has Mobil 1 0w40 with a Fram UltraGuard filter. I'll have it tested at 3K.

The pop-charger is a concern. To those that don't know, it's an open-element cold air intake, sorta like a K&N. I've never had mine dyno'd, but supposedly the story was approximately 6.5 hp increase. The car sounds better with it on, and the butt-dyno seemed to confirm a slight bump in grunt. But, if it's not filtering well, then that's obviously not great. I still have the factory air intake. Wondering if it's worth putting back in.

I'll leave the pop charger on for this interval and see what the silicon looks like

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, I deserve a bit of hassle. Aside from this bad interval, the car has had the oil changed regularly. Right now it has Mobil 1 0w40 with a Fram UltraGuard filter. I'll have it tested at 3K.

The pop-charger is a concern. To those that don't know, it's an open-element cold air intake, sorta like a K&N. I've never had mine dyno'd, but supposedly the story was approximately 6.5 hp increase. The car sounds better with it on, and the butt-dyno seemed to confirm a slight bump in grunt. But, if it's not filtering well, then that's obviously not great. I still have the factory air intake. Wondering if it's worth putting back in.

I'll leave the pop charger on for this interval and see what the silicon looks like

My 300ZX came with a pop charger when I bought it. My UOA showed very good filtration. Either the track use had something to do with the high silicon or maybe there's an air leak elsewhere?

Agreed, except for Castrol 0W-30 and 0W-40 (A3/B4). There's black bottle EDGE and then there's 0W black bottle EDGE.

That stuff’s alright ~ it was swapped out with Castro oil (from Cuba)

If that black bottle fake synthetic or gold bottle (maybe) semi synthetic EDGE?The Black Bottle Synthetic has always been junk oil IFAIC.What OIl filter? the lil Nissan filter is garbage and an engine killer. Run a M1 M110A if it fits or ... ... BANG!
ArcroGraphite is wrong. He always posts false statements, a problem here.
Nothing junk about castrol or any oil filter (except maybe Purolator oil filters which can get holes in them).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Now that's cool! What speed do you reach on that long straightaway?

The highest I've seen in that car is 113mph. It's possible I may have gone higher, but it would've only been a mile per hour or two more.

I've ridden in an older corvette and I believe it was around 125.

Ouch. These engines are actually fairly hard on oil - they seem to like thicker 40-weight oil; and need to be kept full, especially if they see hard driving.

But if its an old car and you don't really care, who knows? Might last longer than you want, or blow up soon. Best of luck!

That's a tough report.

But hold on, Castrol Edge D1G2 5w30 is junk??? Wouldn't that make pretty much every other D1G2 oil junk?

I just bought 14 jugs of it, so let's elaborate on that some please
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back