Synthetic cold flow test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appears they would all start, pump, and lubricate on that day in history ~ guy did lots of work and spent lots of money too.

Thanks for posting. Very consistent results. I was glad to see Motomaster Formula 1 did well. (It’s the house oil for Canadian Tire). I recall Royal Purple doing worse than Mobil 1 at the colder temps as well. Anyway, looks like the film director has enough oil for a few years!

PS. What can you do with 9 plastic funnels?

Last edited:
Not exactly cold, but the winner was PU. Maybe they can use it for an advertisement........
wink.gif
lol

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Not exactly cold, but the winner was PU. Maybe they can use it for an advertisement........
wink.gif
lol

Yeah, piece of cake for 5w30, but fairly realistic judging from this past winter.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Synthetic cold "pour" test.

It's immensely better than the cold "glug glug" test that we usually see. at 5C lower than the MRV rating.

But alas...they are all equal at -20C in the above vid.

I DO like the guy's set-up

Neat setup, i agree with one of he comments posted on the video page. It would be interesting to see the same oils repeated with 2-3000 miles on them.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
New to me test. What the frick with Royal Purple. You would think it would be better

Wouldn't it be funny if it was actually the purple dye that made it thicker at cold temps??
;^)

These test results are getting old now, but RP 5W30 had one of the highest CCS (-30C) viscosities in the PQIA's testing of 5W30 synths in 2013...almost 40% higher than M1, QSUD, and the two Pennzoils they looked at. RP still met the CCS requirement for the grade quite handily, though.
Of the oils that were tested in the video that I am familiar with, Amsoil SS 5W30 has the lowest CCS viscosity at -30C. Not surprised that the Castrol varieties were a tad slower than most of the others as their 5W30s that I have been able to find info for seemed to have CCS viscosities up closer to the spec limit like RP.
I'm sure any of these would probably do me just fine, but I like the idea of lower CCS viscosities as a skier who parks overnight on some cold nights in the White Mountains and gets going when it is still dark and cold out...I will give M1 0W30 AFE a try this winter assuming I can actually find a jug with the d1G2 logo on it by then.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Last edited:
Not sure these oil slump tests prove anything....5W30 oils can vary a lot in cst thickness As someone else mentioned, what about shear down over time?

This combined with a stop watch would be better, cheaper, and use actual (recorded) seconds to move 1 quart …
(Database or spreadsheet)

Or if cold pumping really matters ~ run 0w and check the MRV of that product …

I like tests and things which are simple, this is.

I'm actually very surprised that the conventional oil flowed as fast as it did.

I have always had the notion that Castrol makes great oils but they aren't the best cold weather oils....this test does nothing to change that notion. I was surprised that the Pennzoil products did just as well as the Mobil 1's (maybe even slightly better)....

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
New to me test. What the frick with Royal Purple. You would think it would be better
Why would we think Royal Purple would be better? Marketing ? The color?

Very nice set up, that's the fairest cold pour test I've seen. If only the guys cooling oils down to -40° had the same procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back