Akebono vs Toyota OEM pads

Akebono pads seem highly regarded. I've got to pick between these and OEM (which I'm happy with so far) for a replacement I'll do myself on a 2013 Tacoma v6.

Which pads would you pick?

They're highly regarded because of the no dust factor which is why I like them. They don't have much of a warranty though, just 30 days or something like that. I normally prefer a pad that has a lifetime warranty as I always end up replacing pads every 2-3 years so with a lifetime one, I can get 2-3 sets out of it. So in your case, it just depends how much brake dust you get on your OEM pads.

The Akebono's I've installed in a Toyota Tundra and Lexus LS430 has been stellar so far.

Sumitomo is OEM on a lot of Toyota trucks but I'm not sure if you can find them outside of OEM.

I put Akebono’s on my wife’s Subaru. They were listed by Rock Auto as being OEM, The original pads caused repeated material deposits on the rotors and resultant pedal pulsation. This completely disappeared with the Akebono pads. I like them.

After years of running the high dust BMW OEM pads on my BMW's, I switched over to Akebono's. Less initial bite on application, but overall good performance. Easy to modulate. I do not track this car, so cannot comment on that aspect. Best of all, very little dust compared to the black dusty BMW OEM pads. (I was cleaning the rims once a week) The dust they do generate is a light tan in color. I switched, and never look back.

Been running Akebono Ceramic Pads on my vehicles for years. They are the brand that my friend uses at his independent Honda/Acura shop.

There is a high likelihood that the OEM pads on your Tacoma are manufactured by Akebono. In fact, 50% of all vehicles manufactured in North America roll off the assembly line with Akebono brake pads. Akebono's OEM customers include: General Motors, Ford Motor Company, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi Motors, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and Isuzu. Toyota is Akebono's biggest customer.
I have been using their ProAct ceramic brake pads for over 10 years and I have found them to be an excellent, high quality product. Besides being quiet and low dusting, they tend to be easy on rotor wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Real factory OE, and not the AZ line of pads either.

Always OEM which tend to be semi-metallic and softer on the rotors.
Ceramics can destroy the rotors over a long time.

Thanks and I was looking for this information earlier.

Originally Posted By: wag123
There is a high likelihood that the OEM pads on your Tacoma are manufactured by Akebono. In fact, 50% of all vehicles manufactured in North America roll off the assembly line with Akebono brake pads. Akebono's OEM customers include: General Motors, Ford Motor Company, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi Motors, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and Isuzu. Toyota is Akebono's biggest customer.
I have been using their ProAct ceramic brake pads for over 10 years and I have found them to be an excellent, high quality product. Besides being quiet and low dusting, they tend to be easy on rotor wear.

I liked the Akebonos I put on my wife's car but liked the Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics I used afterwards more. Just a smidge less cold bite but better warm/hot bite and dusting seems about the same. Cheaper, too.

The actual OE pads seem to be Advics for this truck. Rock Auto has them at a good price under the Beck/Arnley brand.

If you want a little more than OE, consider the Akebono ASP pads

They also have Advics rotors, which are US-made

I've heard Toyota brands a aftermarket pad set and a more expensive factory pad set in many applications.

^ I read the same thing in this thread, the fifth post in.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Real factory OE, and not the AZ line of pads either.

I'm saying they both are packaged 'Genuine Toyota', in fact I've found buying any Toyota part outside of a dealer can be tricky.

Akebono ProACT were probably the smoothest, cleanest and most luxurious feeling pads while have good brake bite that I have ever used.

Back