Anything wrong with rubber edge guards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car I bought came with dealer applied door and wheel well edge guards (as well as ugly pinstripes, those are going to go soon). I was not charged for them (it was a used car that came with them). This is the first time I've bought a car that came with these.

These are made of black plastic/rubber and appear to attach using adhesives. I guess I like the protective effect of it, especially at the wheel wells where rocks chip the corners of fenders and what not, causing rust.

But I'm beginning to wonder whether the edge guards can also cause problems. Has anyone had issues with things like rust developing in pockets behind the guards where the adhesive broke down and let water and dirt between the guard and paint? Are they more headache then they're worth? I'd rather keep them for the protection if they aren't going to cause their own problems.

The 3M film ones work great because nothing can get under them.

The hard ones that attach loosely with adhesive are trouble because moisture can get trapped in the double sided tape.

Both can leave a 'mark' when removed some 5+ years later after repeat exposure to sunlight and no polish/wax.

Nothing wrong with protecting edges from chips, but the 3M films are cheap enough that you can use them and reapply every few years.

The adhesive can collect sand, dirt and grit that after time can scratch the areas its meant to protect.

On my car in sig, it started rusting underneath the edge guard right on the rocker panel on the lower part of the wheel well. Only noticed the rust this year but I almost feel like without them, I could keep a fresh coat of wax on them. Also, when waxing you will notice any rock chips and fix them right away.

[censored] that's not good.

Quote:
In the body shop world those guards are not liked by anyone and they look silly. If you really want a door edge guard I'd recommend the clear 3M film

Yes, they do look quite fat and ugly but I thought if they were going to protect and not cause issues, I'd deal with it. But if there's a chance it's going to make things worse...

The 3M clear door edge protection film looks cheap enough, I am very tempted to try it.

Sorry I didn't clarify, are these the kind you guys are talking about? Because there are also some that wrap around the edge both sides, this kind my car came with only sticks on to one side.

tags1-door-edge-guards-bumper-defender-680811445616062128280.jpg

If it's the ones with adhesive don't bother. I have those on my car and in a year or 2 the adhesive runs down the door leaving a very sticky mess.

I wouldn't bother with them, they do tend to get moisture under them and rust starts. If anything go with the 3M film as others have suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back