New Delvac ESP 5w30 now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to find the difference between this and Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, and I'm not finding much, aside from the CK-4/SN versus CJ-4/SN (which was the LE). All this lube will do is serve to panic Ford.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm trying to find the difference between this and Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, and I'm not finding much, aside from the CK-4/SN versus CJ-4/SN (which was the LE). All this lube will do is serve to panic Ford.
wink.gif

The Delvac LE has better properties and a higher VI. It also has many more builder approvals.

The ESP 5w30 has a higher TBN and operational viscosity. That's about it.

I have a friend who works for a local Mobil distributor. I'm going to see if he can get any of the ESP 5w30. If it's in their warehouse, I will donate one of my $9.46 WIX Oil Analysis kits to have a sample tested so we can see what's in it.

Yes, I'd gather there would be a few different properties, but from a specification standpoint, this isn't offering much over LE, having fewer builder approvals, as you point out, while having CK-4. I'd certainly have no concern using the product, of course, but I wonder about redundancy, especially since Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 wasn't a problem that needed to be solved.
wink.gif

Yes, I'd gather there would be a few different properties, but from a specification standpoint, this isn't offering much over LE, having fewer builder approvals, as you point out, while having CK-4. I'd certainly have no concern using the product, of course, but I wonder about redundancy, especially since Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 wasn't a problem that needed to be solved.
wink.gif

Yeah but I think LE only has about 800 ppm of P so perhaps the ESP is higher in that regard. Maybe Mobil is planning on discontinuing LE in the near future...

My friend sent me an email that they have D1 ESP 5w30 in the warehouse. I’ll buy a couple gallons and do a VOA on it. Stay tuned!

According to the link, the ESP will have similar phosphorus, given it's also an E6 lube, with the same 800 ppm limit. Shell ROTELLA Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 is the same. Chevron has such a product, as does Castrol, at least in Canada and Europe.

According to the link, the ESP will have similar phosphorus, given it's also an E6 lube, with the same 800 ppm limit. Shell ROTELLA Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 is the same. Chevron has such a product, as does Castrol, at least in Canada and Europe.

Well that’s disappointing. Kinda makes me think LE will be discontinued since they are so similar. I’m still waiting on price information. As long as the cost is reasonable I’ll get some and run a VOA so we can see what’s inside.

Yes, it's very hard to say. Maybe the builder approvals will mount up, or they'll keep both products. Your guess is as good as mine. I don't doubt that the new ESP 5w-30 is quite capable. I wouldn't have an issue running it. That price is a little high, but I could probably beat that at a distributor here.

But why is it $45/gallon retail? What makes it better than say a Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 or a Rotella T6?

Originally Posted By: LeeinDallas
But why is it $45/gallon retail? What makes it better than say a Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 or a Rotella T6?

Because it's 5w30, DUH!
shocked2.gif

All kidding aside, I have no idea why Mobil has priced it so high. The other 5w30, Delvac LE is also expensive here in America. https://www.thelubricantstore.com/mobil-delvac-1-le-5w30-4x1gal

Maybe they see a shortage of available HDEOs in 5w30 so their marketing dept. thinks people will pay a premium for it? No way I think it or the LE is worth more than $30 a gallon.

I don't see it making much headway in a crowded premium HDEO category at that those price points whether its a 5w-30, 5w-40, 15w-50 etc...Many truckers these days don't care if its Crisco in the can, if it's $5 gallon its what they use. In the interest of fair disclosure I work for Valvoline's HD team.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fraser434
Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 is in another category, it carries CJ4/CK4 but also ACEA E6 for many european trucks. Those low dollar 15W-40 won't be E6. Thats why phosphorous is capped at 800ppm, i'd suspect this oil uses a higher quantity of PAO in its base, why it costs $45 a gallon.

This oil bridges the gap between CJ4/CK4 and ACEA C3.

https://www.lubrizol.com/Lubricant-and-Fuel-Additives/Engine-Oil-Additives/ACEA/Sequences/ACEA-E6-16

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Both LE and ESP 5w30 are rated E6. We already covered that.

LE is not $45 a gallon. It's around $34 a gallon delivered from summit.

It's the Delvac ESP 5w30 that is $47 a gallon plus shipping.

I also suspect LE has higher quality base oils as the VI is about 12% higher than ESP. LE also contains moly and boron which are also desirable in a HDEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back