Mobil 1 0w-40, 10.5k MI, '07 Infiniti G35x 3nd UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCI was approx 10.5k miles and ran from September to March. This was the same combo as before - M1 0w-40 FS and an M1-108 filter. About 9k miles in, the oil level was reading at the low mark, so I added 3/4 of a quart of Rotella T6 (the only thing I had on hand). This is probably 3/4 highway miles with a fair amount of idling as well.

In the comments Blackstone mentions the TBN of 6.4 remaining, but I assume this is a typo as the stats list a more realistic 3.4.

1st UOA
2nd UOA

I was briefly in Fort Wayne so I was able to drop off the sample in person. I snapped a quick picture out back....

The add line is 1 qt. So its not low, its actually 3/4 full. With the T6 blending, can't call it 0w40 anymore. Just a good sample, car is running great.

Was it not mentioned by some in here that with a usually longer OCI, the wear metals show lower normally than a shorter run OC?

Blackstones comments contradict that, if I understood the comments correctly?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
Was it not mentioned by some in here that with a usually longer OCI, the wear metals show lower normally than a shorter run OC?

Blackstones comments contradict that, if I understood the comments correctly?
21.gif

Iron tracks with mileage, so that comment seems normal to me. Which one were you thinking of in particular?

Those are nice cars. My best friend drove one many years, sold it to his son and bought a G37x. His other son bought another G35x too.

Originally Posted By: irv

Lower overall...
Or lower per every 1,000 miles/KM traveled?

I generally don't see "lower overall"....
But I bet if he sampled at 2,000 miles he'd still have 2-3 aluminum and 9-10 iron.

There IS (not fiction) factual consensus that oftentimes, immediately after a NEW oil change,
a lot of wear happens for a bit - then stabilizes and stops for the rest of the oil change interval.

Nice UOA. More proof the new “FS” formula is still very good compared to the older formula. Maybe I’ll try it in my X5 next OC.

assuming this was run over winter there in MI. maybe 11-03?

it was 09-03 I see...severe winter duty.

Last edited:
Absolute metal ppm wear and ppm/1k mile wear rate are 2 different but related evaluation bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back