A good mechanics marketing scheme, perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Walmart after work today to find a decent HDEO for my new riding mower. I usually spend an inordinate amount of of time in the oil aisle when I'm there, but today was actually pretty brief.

Almost immediately some fellow comes up to me and ask if the bottle of Gumout Regane fuel cleaner he's holding is okay to use in an gas engine. Don't have time to talk as I'm already late, so I give him a quick yes. I thought to myself, probably some guy who thinks it's magic in a bottle that will fix whatever problem he has.

I walk around a bit looking at too many oil bottles and price checking a few (found some Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40, NON-SRT version which I'd never known existed on closeout for $3.00 FWIW). Then another guy walks up to me and asks which Motorcraft diesel oil would be best for his Powerstroke-- 10w-30 or 15w-40. I spent a couple minutes explaining the two, which I also didn't have time for, but it's hard to pass up a conversation on motor oil, especially with someone willing to learn.

Not 30 seconds later, some guy approaches me with a heavy Spanish/Mexican accent, uttered three or four words that I found impossible to understand. After 3 "what's?" I realize he's asking me if I work there.

Then it dawns on me-- I'm in the motor oil aisle, right next to the tire and lube shop, wearing a blue uniform with my name embroidered on one side, and of course my company's logo on the other-- Cundiff Steel Fabricators; they must have missed that. I fabricate steel, but I see how I could look like a Tire & lube mechanic at quick glance after a day's work in a plain blue uniform.

Long story short, I bet a real mechanic looking for business could walk the aisles for a while and really drum up some business!

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Haha. I wouldn't ask a Walmart tire-n-loob "mechanic" anything. Most of them are pretty clueless.

They'd probably know exactly how long until 4:20 without looking at their phone or watch.
;^)

JK to any WM employees that want to flame me now!!

It would be funny to have someone dress up in coveralls with a mic and videotape them answering questions in the automotive aisles at walmart.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Haha. I wouldn't ask a Walmart tire-n-loob "mechanic" anything. Most of them are pretty clueless.

They'd probably know exactly how long until 4:20 without looking at their phone or watch.
;^)

JK to any WM employees that want to flame me now!!

I worked at a Walmart tire-n-loob for about 3 months way back when I was in auto tech school. There is nothing wrong with working at Walmart, but I will never let them touch one of my cars. Don't get me started.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
It would be funny to have someone dress up in coveralls with a mic and videotape them answering questions in the automotive aisles at walmart.

You could bring a tip jar and rattle it around in their faces after answering their question. Brilliant plan.

I once went shopping to Walmart wearing Khaki pants and a dark blue polo shirt.

Customers thought I worked there and kept asking me where is ____ and what isle is the ____ located...

My plumber does this in the Home Depot plumbing aisle. Gets people who are trying to fix a plumbing problem and then offers to do the job for them. I tell him he should just post on Craigslist, but he's not computer literate.

I was cutting through a parking lot once and a guy thought I was a parking lot attendant. I was mildly insulted.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
My plumber does this in the Home Depot plumbing aisle. Gets people who are trying to fix a plumbing problem and then offers to do the job for them. I tell him he should just post on Craigslist, but he's not computer literate.

I was cutting through a parking lot once and a guy thought I was a parking lot attendant. I was mildly insulted.

There is a desperate need for even a basic plumbers around my area. If they are sitting around looking for business they typically have a ton of personal problems causing them to be unreliable and not used or just terrible at marketing themselves out there.

Trust me-if you're a decent mechanic & don't rip people off, customers will be KNOCKING DOWN YOUR DOOR just from word of mouth! You won't have to recruit the "People of Walmart"!
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Trust me-if you're a decent mechanic & don't rip people off, customers will be KNOCKING DOWN YOUR DOOR just from word of mouth! You won't have to recruit the "People of Walmart"!
crazy.gif

+1

I've been working on small engines since I was 14, cars since I was about 18, and work in IT for my day job. Sometimes it can be overwhelming how many questions/work I get from friends/family and neighbors, but I enjoy helping people. It feels good knowing that I can prevent someone from getting ripped off or give them a better understanding so they can save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back